Lightbulb American Rescue Technologies

Can anyone provide me with some input on extrication tools provided by American Rescue Technolgies. Has anyone had any bad expieriences?

www.art4rescue.com

We are in the process of purchasing another complete set of tools. We have previously used Holmatro and would like to continue. But during our shopping expierience we have noticed that we can save almost $10,000.00 and get almost the same operating pressures and weight. I cannot justify that additional expense for something that is used that infrequently.

Let me know what your thoughts are. I would appreciate any input or recommendations on tools.

www.art4rescue.com

Forum Member

The tool you are looking at is commonly known as a "Genesis" tool. They are a high pressure tool that is basically an American version of the European Weber Tools. I believe one of the Genesis founders posts on this forum, so you will likely hear from him at some point.

As far as high pressure tools go, I have not had any problems working with the Genesis. When I was involved in a competition at the State Fire School in Ohio a few years back, my team had several different tool companies to chose from. I stayed neutral, and they picked the Gensis to do the competition with. We placed second, so the tool obviously did its job. Personally, I was not sold on the push-button control, but that is more of a matter of personal preference.

The only negative things I have heard are strictly rumor, so I don't think it is appropriate to spread those along on here. You can e-mail me if you think you want to hear it.

If you can save that much money and want to stay with a high pressure tool, I would not hesistate to look closely at changing to the Genesis. Especially if you use the tools infrequently as you indicate.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 11-07-2002 at 01:09 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Ltritter- About 3 years ago, my department purchased 2 sets of the Genesis tools by ART, and we love them. THese tools replaced one of the original Hurst "Jaws of Life" at one station and I believe an Amkus at the other station.

Back in 1995, myself and 2 other firefighters (fire69dawg) attended a class down in Dayton, OH put on by ART. This was an excellent class and we learned quite a bit. We worked with the genesis tools and others down there, and we were sold on the Genesis.

We brought the all the stuff we learned back to the dept. and tried to pass it on, but met some resistance from some who had the attititude of "anything but Hurst is junk". After some of these people sat through the same class at State Fire School (where they learned the same stuff, from the same people", they came back, trying to preach to us about these tools and how awesome they were.

When it came time to get the new rescue tools, we had all of the major manufacturer reps come in with a set of their tools for us to test. Everyone else was amazed with them, also, so that is what we ordered.

About 1.5 years ago, a neighboring department (Weruj)was goin through the same process and also got the Genesis tools. They liked them, but also because for mutual aid. In fact, just last month, we assisted them at an MVA and they were having problems with some of their equipment, so we hooked up ours and didn't have to worry about equipment familiarity.

Like I said, we love the tools. We like the light weight, the power, and the ease of use with the push-button control (sorry metalmedic).
    THe biggest thing to remember is what works best for YOU. Yes, they work great for us, but that may not be the case for you. Whatever you get, just make sure everyone is comfortable with it and it works out best for you.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Ltritter- After some of these people sat through the same class at State Fire School (where they learned the same stuff, from the same people", they came back, trying to preach to us about these tools and how awesome they were.

We like the light weight, the power, and the ease of use with the push-button control (sorry metalmedic).
    Good luck!
    What year were these guys at the State Fire School? I took the Advanced Auto Extrication class there in 1994. I assisted with the Commercial Vehicle (Heavy Rescue) class from 1995 until 1998. I wonder if I crossed paths with any of your folks.

And there is no apology necessary. As I pointed out, it is a matter of personal preference. I am sure I would get used to it if I had push buttons on the tools I use on a regular basis. It was just awkward for me to try to use them during the class. I had a problem during an evolution where I was cutting a seat rail. The cutter twisted and as I removed my hand from the tool, the tool slipped into a position where the push button remained depressed and we had to turn off the tool at the power unit. A tool with a thumb control could experience the same problem, it is all in what you are used to and how you handle your particular tool.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Lightbulb

Call Spring F.D. in Spring TX this is in the houston area and ask them what they think about ther Genesis tools they have 4 systems. Before you buy tools you should look at Holmatro,TNT and the new Hurst side by side in the gunk yard. This is the only way to look at preformance.

"You get what you pay for".
    Use your head, price has to be indicative.
    "Never forget that your safety comes before that of the people that you ar attempting to rescue"
    Mr.Rhys Mags - Director
    Victoria State Emergency Service

Thread Information