MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Default More than one way to skin a cat - or get mone;y

After our past 2 FEMA grants were turned down, we looked for other ways to get some money. We went to Rural Development (USDA) and asked for some money. We may have to wait 2 or 3 years to know for sure. That's a long time. We didn't just sit around after our crying about the grant program. We worked hard to get our voters to pass a tax increase. We just got the results in this morning and we'll be getting enough extra every year to replace our trucks and buy our own equipment. We may be paying for it all for a lot of years, but at least we had the initiative to try it, work at it, and get it passed. If your dept. is doing a good job and the voters know it, they'll give you what you need.
    This morning, I'm happy.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Congratulations!

Grants can come and go with economic changes; a tax will provide a secure steady income.

Don't forget to thank the voters that supported you.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A tax increase is always the surest way to guarantee funding. Congrats on getting it thru. Make sure you pitch the decreased howeowner's insurance costs if you can increase your ISO rating. Check out www.isolayer.com. It was mentioned in another thread in Apparatus Innovation. There are some monster trucks that didn't break the bank and the depts managed to drop their ISO ratings, saving the homeowners hundreds of $$ per year. Of which a tax increase would only take back a small portion, which any rational person will see the benefits of the trade-off.

If taxes aren't the way, I posted another thread with a couple of other outlets for grants along with a link to a bunch of samples grant apps to learn from.

Brian

Default link

Something is wrong with your link. I tried to browse there and got nothing.

Forum Member

Almarante,
    I believe the the link is supposed to be isoslayer, just missing the middle "s"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, my apologies. It's www.isoslayer.com

I would have posted the correct link earlier, but for some reason, the site wouldn't let me log in. You can also just run through the Links sections and look under USA Departments, Nevada, and Fallon/Churchill VFD. This way won't give you the stupid Goecities banner and popup windows.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Thread Information