District Chief

Thumbs down Another Florida Election SNAFU--(close to home)

I live in the Spring Hill Fire and Rescue District. My recent tax bill on the house in which I live in clearly reflects that taxes are paid to them. The District is "Precinct 29." The closest fire station to my house is approximately 1.5 miles from me. The place I go to vote is between my house and the station and is within eyesight of the station.

When I entered the polling place I was checked in and signed my name on the line. I was given a ballot and as I voted and got to the end I noticed the question of allowing Spring Hill Fire and Rescue to be independant (see other thread) was not on my ballot. I approached the official "depository" for my ballot and with ballot in hand questioned the poll workers (3 of them) why the question was not on the ballot. Their response was..."This is a split precinct and therefore it is not on the ballot." I asked (ballot still in hand) if there was another ballot(a seperate one) or someone to call to raise my concern or even another place for me to vote. Response: "No...we were told it is not being voted on in this precinct because of the split."

I left the voting place and went to the station and discussed the matter with the shift commander there who notified the Fire Chief. They confirmed that I was indeed in their district. I returned to the polling place and spoke with the "Poll supervisor." She said: " I am upset too as I live in Spring Hill Fire District and vote here and I was not able to vote." (Remember...this is the poll supervisor). I mentioned to the firefighters sitting in the parking lot what had happened to me and they were flabergasted.

I spoke with the supervisor of elections for Hernando County and she said she would look into it.(she never took my name or number) I explained to her that this was a matter of a flawed election process once again and that I was not in the position of being taxed without having a say so in it.

I contacted the supervisor of elections office for the entire state and explained the situation to them. Some attorney called me back and indicated they would be in contact with the Hernando County Office and get back to me. Well...it is now 28 hours after I spoke with them and I have yet to receive a call back. I explained the same thing to them as well as my concerns and outrage at this error.

This morning I again called the supervisor of elections for the county and within an hour she called me back. She said that immediately after talking to me yesterday (around 815 am) she called the polling place pointed out to them the error. They told her: "We have it under control!" She tells me that there was indeed a different ballot(for which I asked and was told none existed) and that I was given the ballot I received in error because they were not "paying attention" to which book my name was in. She then told me that there were 5 times more people inside the Fire District in Precinct 29 than there are out of it. But she said..."not all of them voted so it would not have made a difference!" I said...I wonder how many other people got the "wrong ballot because someone was not paying attention?" She told me that she was sorry and that it was unfortunate. She also said another district was a split one.

It matters not whether the initiatve won or was defeated or even by what margin. I was not afforded, as were who knows how many others, the opportunty to exercise my constitutional right to vote on an issue that involved taxation.

She told me that she had stressed to them in the training that there was a split ballot... Yet, even the poll supervisor did not even vote on the issue because she apparently did not get that part of the training. There were at least 3-5 other poll workers in the area when I voiced my concerns and questions and none of them mentioned anything about another ballot. HMMMMMMM...What does that tell you? At the point I asked the question, I had not filed my vote and that ballot could have been marked as an error and I could have re-voted.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Amazing how many ways we can find to screw up elections Cap?

From the town north of me:
    By a 757-481 tally, voters created a planning and zoning commission, likely ending the town's distinction as only one of four Connecticut towns without zoning regulations.

But a measure to create a zoning board of appeals failed, with 458 in favor to 755 against.

Audible murmurs filled the Pomfret Community School gymnasium when vote tallies on the zoning board of appeals question were announced.

It was phrased as two questions to satisfy a technical requirement, you'd assume and expect if you vote for zoning you'd also approve the appeals board. Sounds like some voting machines weren't set up correctly. It's a contentious issue since Pomfret has had an on going fight over zoning for decades. About 10 years ago Zoning was defeated in an exact tie -- 500 for, 500 against. You just don't get closer than that!

So now the question: Which one was screwed up, the zoning or appeals question.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Another Florida Election SNAFU--(close to home)

Originally posted by captstanm1
    It matters not whether the initiatve won or was defeated or even by what margin. I was not afforded, as were who knows how many others, the opportunty to exercise my constitutional right to vote on an issue that involved taxation.
    The results of this balloting should be nullified, the ballots in question should be seized by the County board....and another opportunity to vote should be offered to ALL residents in that district. It does make a difference. And someone in the elections board should be working to correct the mistake and schedule a new vote on that issue.

I would not let them off on this "illegal" ballot. You have been denied the right to vote on an issue....and that's unconstitutional.

Go get 'em Stan! Don't be afraid to get the media involved in this one....they love stuff like this, AND can put pressure where it is needed.
    Last edited by NJFFSA16; 11-07-2002 at 12:14 PM.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

District Chief

I have never been re-contacted by the State Elections Office.

The local elections office said it was an "unfortuante" error that I received the wrong ballot and immediately after my call they "corrected" the problem. In speaking with Fire Department Officials they indicated they do not think that the number of votes that may have been missed in my precint would have made a difference. Apparently they are re-grouping and taking the next 2 years to prepare for it to be on the ballott again.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information