Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scheduling

Question scheduling

Our administration is currently taking our 4-4 schedule and planning on changing it to a 4-2 with a kelly day. What other options can we propose to them????

Forum Member

The first question is how many hours comprise your work week? After that is determined, people will be better able to respond with various shifts that correspond with the number of hours you work.

We currently work 2 10hr days(7a-5p) and then 2 14hr nights (5p-7a) and then 4 days off, on a 150 man 4 platoon system. Im just trying to get an idea of what else is out there........thanks

Up here in New England there are 3 - 24 hour shift set-ups that I know about.

First is the 24/72. You work 24 hours and are off for 3 days. You only get 11 days off for a week's vacation, where you get 12 days off for a week's vacation now. It is not a bad schedule, I have worked it and it is pretty nice. This is the most popular of the schedules that I have found up here.

Second is the 1/2/1/4. You work 24 hour shifts, one day on, one day off, one day on, four days off. I know of one department off the top of my head that wors this and they REALLY like it. You get 12 days off for one week's vacation, the same as you do now.

The last option is 1/1/1/5. You work 24 hour shifts, one day on, one day off, one day on, and five days off. This is the best and is gaining a lot omomentum for popularity of it. Most of the departments taht are switcing to 24 hour shifts are switching to this one now, at last this is what I have found. I have worked this shift and I find it as the best. One week's vacation gets you 13 days off, two weeks gets you 21 days off, three weeks gets you 29 days. Most chiefs don't exactly care for this one because of the 4 days off straight but you are already gone 4 so what is one more?

These all average out to 42 hours per work week so there is no change in the number of hours only the manner in which they are worked. As for sick time and personal/vacation days the 24 hour shifts are broken up into the 10 and 14 hour blocks as they are now, and I have seen some departments just break them inot 12 hour blocks of OT.

I hope this helps you out. By the way, I only put the number of days off due to vacations because I don't care to see you give up a day off when you take a week's vacation.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Little Island off the coast of Massachusetts

Lightbulb

suggest 24 hours shift to them............cuts down on sick time.......and increases time off for you

Thread Information