Forum Member

Post Hurst Electric Power Units

Extricators,

Anyone out there have experience with Hurst 110V Power units. My department is looking @ setting one of our Engines up to run daytime MVA and leave the Truck in quarters. Limited Manpower is starting to catchup with us. Thus we have an older set of cutters and spreader for the Engine. We will have to purchase an additional power unit. I'm thinking an AC unit is the way to go. I'm thinking the JL-AC. Let me know the ins & outs.
    GB

Forum Member

We have had an electric power unit along with a gas powered unit for over 10 years. No real difference with exception that it is awfully easy to throw a power switch and boom, it's on. We have also taken it inside of houses and plugged into house outlets when we needed to do some cutting in a basement. Yes, you can use hoses with gas unit located outdoors, but if you are going to upper floors in a building, you may run out of hoses. Yes, you can also get the Holmatro battery operated tool for those needs, but with the electric unit, it covers all the bases. We have it mounted in a compartment preconnected to a 75' reel but is very simple to remove from the truck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We have a JL-AC 110 volt power unit with a Maverick ML-16S combination tool on one of our engines. Works well, light enough that one person can carry both if necessary. Amp draw is a little high at full load (25 amps), although it will hold on a 20 amp circuit most of the time. Make sure your generator is up to the task. We have a 6KW generator on this engine, with 30 amp breakers & 10 gauge wire on the outlets to insure it works when we need it. The electric is especially nice if you have potential incidents inside large occupancies (commercial/industrial settings) out of hose reach and/or where you wouldn't be able to run a gas engine unit. The unit sounds a lot like a big shop vac - kinda noisy, but no worse than most gas power units. We've had no problems with it, and it's about 7 years old. The setup Bones42 describes sounds like a good arrangement. We recently equipped 2 more engines with combination tools and electric power units, but went with Holmatro units. Same concept, different manufacturer. No problems with these either.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Not being extremely familiar with the Hurst product line, I was browsing their web site for power units ( http://www.hurstjaws.com/products/PowerUnits.Asp )

The web page contradict itself in regard to the JL-AC-SI 220 AC Electric Simultaneous Power Unit one part says its 110 VAC and later it states the Motor is 220 VAC.

They also offer the ML-AC 110 Electric Power Unit which is a 110 VAC single tool pump.

I tend to agree with drkblram comment about being "slaved to the truck" regardless of your choice of power sources.

Also Bones42 & raricciuti both make excellent points about the limitations of gas units when working in-doors.

All in all I would say to examine your potential need and see what the majority of calls you will be handling with this set up.

My own personal thoughts would be to purchase two of the ML-2H power units (Single tool - Gas). This way you are allowed greater mobility (with shorter hoses) because your tools are not tied to the same power unit. You have a degree of "redundancy" because it is less likely that both power units would fail (vs. having only one Duo unit be it gas or electric).

You could do this with two ML-AC-110's as well, however with the gas units you don't have to worry about pulling & dragging extension cords either.

The 2 basic questions are:
    1) Do you really want to go electric instead of Gas ?
    2) Would it be better to have 2 Simo Pumps or 1 Duo pump ?

Perhaps you could "split the difference" and get 2 Simo pumps and have one gas and one electric ?? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

I apologies if I have further clouded the waters for you, but it never hurts to have options.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Addendum
    FYI - We run Holmatro and our Rescue truck has a fix mounted 220 VAC Duo Unit plumbed to 2 100' Hose Reels (preconnected to a Combi tool and a dedicated O-Cutter)
    We also kept the old Gas powered Simo Unit and 25' hoses when we upgraded to this truck. The Gas unit allows the connection of 2 tools with the operation of 1 at a time.

So far we have been able to reach pretty much anything we need to right off the truck. We only pull the Gas unit if we want/need a 3rd tool (ram's or large spreaders), if we can't reach from the truck, or for Multi Car Pin-In's while waiting for a M/A rescue to arrive.
    Last edited by N2DFire; 11-14-2002 at 08:51 AM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information