Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Rotating Shift Commanders

Looking for positive/negative input on periodic rotation of Shift Commanders. Shift Commanders now work with one shift exclusively. Considering mandatory periodic shuffling. Anyone have thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

All four of our shift commanders do things just different enough to confuse the heck out of us if they were to rotate shifts. I wouldn't like it.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

They did that here for a while. It created some major problems. Just like Engine5FF said, they did things just a little different and it caused some real problems. It turned out to be a real problem in the long run. Hopefully, they realize the folly of trying it again around here.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

No way!!!!!

A shift commander gets "in synch" (not the boy band! ) with the firefighters under his/her command.

A shift commander gets to know everyone's idiosyncrasies, strengths, weaknesses and talents on and outside of the job and uses them to an advantage when the situation arises...for example,I have a firefighter on my group who is in the Air National Guard and works as part of an ARFF crew. If I have an aircraft incident, he's the person I would place "in command"...tell me what you need, and I'll get you the resources. Another one of my firefighters was on the District hazmat team...if there's a major "reallybadsnastycrap" hazmat incident, you can bet your bippy that I will special call him to the scene for advice. Another one of my firefighters operates heavy equipment on his side job...if I need his advice, he's my go to guy. Another one of my jakes used to work for a propane gas company...and so on....

Every firefighter has a talent. It takes time to learn the capabilities of your personnel. I am second in command on my group, been on the group for a little over two years and I am still learning what talents they have.

Some of you may not agree with me on the following....

A good shift commander has to be willing to give up the command role to a subordinate if the subordinate has more expertise in the particulars of the incident. While the IC is still "in charge", utilizing your resources will make mitigating an incident a hell of a lot easier!

PS: give credit where credit is due!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 11-09-2002 at 08:56 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information