MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Just When You Figured You Might Have Heard Them All A New One Pops Up..

We got paged to a car fire/MVA this morning at 554am. The page said it was a single car (I am kinda guessing - I was in the shower when I heard the siren go off) and that RCMP were on scene.

We roll up and do our thing - which was pretty basic, the flames were out, the driver was not seriously hurt so life is pretty good.

This is what we were told by the RCMP: First, they were from the south (Langford) so we don't know them too well or they us. Howerver, they were aware that we are a volly dept. So the story goes that they were on scene a good 10 min prior to our page out. To start they (there were 3 cars) decided to throw handfulls of sand from the ditch onto the car to smother the flames. The reason they gave for not paging us right away was because they figured we would still be in bed. Go figure eh - I was in the shower, and apparently the DC says he was just about to get into his shower too. (and no we don't live in the same house!!!!) Oh and apparently they had asked for only an engine to respond. They were mighty impressed when our entire dept turned out. We were missing only 3 guys out of our total numbers - enough to fill 4 trucks.

The second point was while we were rolling RCMP chose to stand down EHS. The DC is dealing with the driver, and asking the Chief how long for EHS and we get told they aren't coming... well they did a short time later. I was just gearing down from spraying foam on the car, and can hear a siren coming up. One of the cops comes up and tells me that EHS is here and that he was going to send them away... NO!! I told him to send them up to take a look at the driver. He had some small complaints of tingling on one side.

As it turns out, he is a new driver, only 1 month experience, lost control on wet roads at 100kph+ and the car belonged to his brother's girlfriend. And he had been drinking in town last night, but chose to stay to sleep some of it off. He got a warning for alcohol, but a ticket for unsafe driving conditions.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had one a while ago, a neighbor called in a house fire and dispatch sent a county mounty to see if it was true it was.By the time we were paged their wasn't much left.

Permanently Removed

And then there was the one that came in as a grass fire. We get there and there is also a shed (about 10 X 20) on fire. Or how about the vehicle fire. Rolled one truck, when the truck gets there it calls for more trucks and manpower. Seems no one mentioned the fact that the vehicle was still in the garage.

Forum Member

Last winter we had a call for a trailer house fire, with possible extension to a shed. We show up, the trailer is fully involved, as is the shed, which is 3 feet from the trailer and about the same size.
    Fortunately, we usually don't have to wait for the cops to call us in, because on a lot of car accidents the victim is on their way to the hosptital before the 1st trooper shows up. The trick is getting dispatch to page rescue to assist on car accidents when the caller state (in their vast experience) that there's no entrapment (they obviously never had to KED a 300 lb person in a Geo).

IACOJ Agitator

Last fall, a lady calls the firehouse (lucky for her someone was there). She says that she thinks her furnace (which was in the basement) backfired and there was heavy black smoke pouring out of the second floor.

Well, the lady who answered the phone told her to call 911.

Needless to say we had a nice room & contents fire that we stopped just in time. It was starting to burn its way into the attic.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile It happens everywhere..........

A Western Maryland county dispatch center took a call for "it looks like the Smith's barn is burning" and sent the structure assignment. First arriving unit cancelled the call after determining that the red glow was a full moon coming up behind the barn. And how many of us have arrived at a working fire, only to hear "my baby" something or other, do a THOROUGH search, and then learn that "my baby" was a pet? Been There, Done That, too many times. And then there was the Bowie, Md. housewife who called to report that "there is white smoke coming from the roofs of several houses across the street". The white smoke was water vapor as the morning sun melted a heavy frost from the roofs....... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

We Get the same call twice a year. Train fire all cars involved. We have a couple of different RR's going through our town and they both have maintianence trains that grind the tracks. As it gets dark fairly early in November, the crews are still working in the late afternoon and the "grinding" looks pretty spectacular from the freeway as it gets dark. The county cops are usually the reporting party. I guess one of these days it may be real.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

A few years ago a nearby station was responded to "Fire in a small shed" - 19 hours, nearly 50 companies and over 1 million gallons of water later the fire was declared under control - caller neglected to mention the slightly useful piece of information that the small shed was in the middle of a very large tire recycling facility
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

We got sent ot a mva and upon arrival, we found nothing...................it happens.................

So as we get ready to clear, a woman who had been standing calmly on the side of the road flags us down............she is the caller...........HER HUSBAND IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!!!

I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

One of my pet peeves is the "drive by cell phoning". We have run on MVA's that turned out to someone changing a tire, or given a location that covers about 20 miles of I-90.

The best one so far this year was during the "Little Elk Fire". The fire was at about 6000 acres on the second day and the base camp was along the I-90 service road at milemarker 44. A drive by cell phoner called in "smoke in the trees" at mile marker 44. Apparently they could not relate a field full of fire trucks and other equipment to the smoke. They just wanted to make sure that someone had reported the fire.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Several years ago my brother was working for a private ambulance company when they were dispatched to a man "dfo." Being from the north and not having a firm grasp of the southern dialect, he asked what "dfo" meant. Dispatch replied, "he done fell out!"

So my brother gets on scene and is looking for a man below a tree, a step ladder, outside the house under an open window etc. After a few minutes, they found a man in seizure. That's when he learned the definition of "dfo."
    Last edited by jsdobson; 11-10-2002 at 11:16 AM.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

MembersZone Subscriber

Several years ago, I was riding EMS in a NJ city when we were dispatched to "naked woman in the street" in a real bad neighborhood. My partner is like a little kid on Christmas. I asked him to think about the call and the location, did he honestly think that we were going to pick up Heather Locklear?

I was right, she was about 5', about 300 lbs. and about as crazy as they come.

I dispatched a call for our local ambulance several years ago. It came in as a 50 something male having a heart attack. Get the crew responding 15 miles to the location. They had been having a drinking party on Friday night (this is now Sunday night) The car gets there and a 50 something male is sitting at the kitchen table leaning agaisnt the wall with his head proped up in his hand. He had passed out Friday night in that position and was like that untill the medics arrived. They thought he was "sleeping it off" and everyone left him alone. Well it was a real deep deep sleep. They figured he died friday night.
    Some days yer the fire hydrant and some days yer the dog.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking More tales from the dead......

Anyone out there old enough to have ridden in a Cadillac ambulance?? Remember the little window between the front seat and the back?? Here is the scenario. Warm day. Air conditioning not working. Dead man on cot. Me driving. My brother in law in back. (aid man) Heading to hospital w/windows open wide. (dead man a bit aromatic) I hit a bump, the dead man's arm drops to floor, just as breeze thru open window causes sheet covering body to fly off. My brother in law came up front to sit for the rest of the ride. Thing was, he came THRU THE LITTLE WINDOW. Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

My department was activated for a car fire one afternoon. When the units arrived they found a burned out car they had extinguished two days before. Love those passerbys on cell phones.

Forum Member

The worst thing about cell phones is people who don't know where they are. We got a call of an MVC with entrapment at the 15 mm on US 23 north. It was pouring the rain and we went zipping out there...only to find out it was at the 15 mm IN A DIFFERENT COUNTY.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Wink

This saturday that just past my whole dept 5 trucks were at a training burn. Keep in mind there is fire through the roof and someone on a cell phone called called 911 as he was driving by stating that there was a structure fire.
    got to love those cell phones.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

When I was still running with a volunteer ambulance, we got dispatched at about 3 am for a three vehicle accident with injuries and entrapment. We crewed right away and called for additional ambulances. However when we rolled on scene with the FD and the other ambulance we found nothing. Shortly we found out why. Woman had called in a wreck to "get the police there faster", seems she was reporting a loud party at her neighbor's and got creative. Last I heard she got a citation for making false reports. Another one we had at the fire company I belong to, called a total of three times for the same mva, the strangest thing was that we weren't even called when the wreck happened. Another one happened for the ambulance that I work full time for. We were called a total of six times for a vehicle over an embankment.Seems the owner was in no hurry to get their car back, even a week later. Oh, and who can foget getting dispatched in the wee hours of the morning because someone reported an unknown type fire as seen from RT.68, only problem was they didn't investigate enough to figure out that they were reporting in clouds passing by the dusk to dawn lights at the cookie plant. Love them cell phones too.
    Randall E. Guntrum FF/E.M.T.

If lights, sirens and airhorns do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

Forum Member

As you drive north into Maine on I-95 you end up on the Maine Turnpike (toll). Once you get to Portland the road splits and you can stay on 95/Turnpike, or take I-295 (and pay another toll) to go through Portland (although, technically I-295 is a freeway). A little further along I-95/Turnpike splits again, this time the exit is for I-95 but not the Turnpike, you go straight and the road become I-495/Turnpike. I-95 (and yet another toll I'm begining to feel like I'm in New Jersey or something, only fewer with lanes and more pine trees) crosses through Flamouth and joins with I-295 and continues to Augusta (as I-95) where it rejoins the Turnpike(which is I-495 up to that point) where it switches back to I-95 (and you pay another freaken toll).

This causes a little confusion (the numbering, not the tolls, that just causes your change thing to empty out).

We frequently get calls from the State Police (who handle all 911/*77 cell calls) stating MVA on I-95 at Mile 59 or Exit 16 when actually the driver (who is probably from Massachusettes) is confused, he's on I-495/Maine Turnpike and the call is two or three towns away. A sure givaway is "MVA near exit 18" well, there is no 18 on I-95, a 17 and 19 yes, no 18 (this also causes confusion, although there is a good reason for it).

Luckily the DOT is in the proccess of renaming and marking the roads (and probably increasing the tolls again), the Turnpike will soon be I-95 for its entire length (all toll), exits will be numbered by the mile they are at, and I-295 will be the designation for entire I-95/295 Portland to Augusta section (still have to pay to "exit" onto it from the turnpike, you don't have to pay to exit at any other road).

And despite all the effort we go through to confuse them, they still keep coming up here from Massachusettes.

Forum Member

Recently reviewed 911 tapes yielded this jem...

Dispatch "911 what is your emergency?"
    Caller "I think my house is on fire, come quick"
    Dispatch "OK, you're calling from 555-1234, on the Glickman Road?
    Caller "Yeah, I'm at my neighbor's, my house is across the street, I can see smoke, please hurry!"
    Dispatch "OK mam, I'm notifying the fire department right now. What is the quickest way to get to your house?"

pause

pause

pause

Dispatch "Mam, are you still there?"
    Caller "Ah yeah, Ah.... don't they still have the big red trucks?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I just thought of another one. On my way home from work several years ago I passed a car parked at the local VFW post. It was the only car in the lot and I could see something strange on the ground all around the car. Well I was beat from working afternoon shift and didn't give it a second thought. I went home and went straight to bed. Well about a half hour later we got dispatched for a car fire. Yup, you guessed it, to the parkibg lot of the VFW!! I was first on station and another guy, a former officer shows up, he tells me to start the engine as he starts packing up in our rescue. The engine was dead so me and him jumped in the tanker and took off. We roll in and the very same car I had passed on the way home was blazing away. I get a line off and start attacking the fire by myself. I ended up getting some help from some bystanders, the rescue rolls in and the crew takes the line from me. The fire get's put out pretty quickly and we shut down the line. Well I go back to the tanker only to find the driver soaked from head to toe, seems whoever packed the hose the last time didn't tighten the couplings and he got a face full as soon as he charged the line. After laughing at him I went back over to the car to help with overhaul. That's when I found out what the stuff on the ground was. Seems the owner was in the bar late drinking with his buddy the bartender, and somehow they noticed the dudes car catch fire out in the lot. They dumped a couple dry chem exstinguishers on it and put the fire out. So instead of calling for the FD, these geniuses decided to go back in the bar and started to drink again. So of course the fire starts up again and the rest is history. I just wonder what he told his insurance, " what do you mean you had two car fires???? you only have one car!!!"
    Randall E. Guntrum FF/E.M.T.
    If lights, sirens, and airhorns do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.

Forum Member

Just heard one of our neighboring departments get paged to a "combine rollover with entrapment." First of all, it's in one of those areas where no one is absolutely sure whose district it is so you have two different departments responding, plus EMS and the deputy sheriffs. First unit arrives on scene and advises all other units to disregard. WHAT? Apparently, the combine overturned yesterday and the "entrapped subject" was actually the owner gathering items out of the combine while he waited for a wrecker to come flip it back over. Guess somebody wasn't paying attention yesterday when they drove by the FIRST TIME!
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

Unhappy

State Police call 10:30pm possible brush fire in cemetary. The only time they don't send a car to check it out it turns out to be an etrnal candle barely visible from the road.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Oh yeah....Forgot that one......

Maryland has both state highways and interstates with the same or similar numbers. Any number of times, West Annapolis and Arundel VFD's in Anne Arundel County will be dispatched to I97 & rt 50 for a crash, hustle out there, and find......Nothing. A few miles west, just over the county line in Prince Georges County, Bowie and Glenn Dale units will be working a crash at...197 & rt 50. Or the other way around. A few years ago, I was hanging out in the Communications center when a call was taken for a house on fire. Since this was before Enhanced 911, the caller had to provide an address or a time consuming phone trace was necessary. The caller didn't know where she was! Seems that she was the "cleaning lady" and was dropped off by her employer. My friend, the quick thinking dispatcher told her to find some mail and give him the adresses, then told her to look outside and see if the house number matched! She did, it did, and we went out there to find a minor (to us) electrical fire. Never a dull moment......Stay Safe....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Smile

I live in a college town with a lot of International Students.
    We got a call for a furnace fire in an apartment complex. Upon
    investivation, the caller had discovered the pilot light in
    his gas furnace.

Thread Information