Default CSR annual training

If you were to set up an annual CSR training class, what kind of things would you include in it?

It looks like we'll be doing a review of OSHA laws, permit-required confined space definitions, stations for ropes and knots, rigging, hoisting/lowering, pt packaging, ventilation, air monitoring, and SCBA/SABA use. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Question

Point for clarification.

Is this a 1 day thing or longer.?

Also how much is done during the year on other training sessions.?

I would say at this time that if regular skills are being done throughout the year, than this would be more of a yearly "evaluation" of the team in a scenario based set of evolutions.

Keepin it real

Originally posted by BCfiremedic
    Point for clarification.

Is this a 1 day thing or longer.?

Also how much is done during the year on other training sessions.?

I would say at this time that if regular skills are being done throughout the year, than this would be more of a yearly "evaluation" of the team in a scenario based set of evolutions.
    I'll go with BCfiremedic on this, if your covering all your basics thru-out the year then have a full day eval. drill for the team this way ou can single out the weak areas in your training program.
    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Forum Member

Fergus,
    Sounds like you have most of your bases covered and a great training outline. If you are going to training to the OSHA standard do not forget the requirement to make an actual or simulated rescue out of an actual or simulated confined space once a year. If you check the OSHA standards, you will see that this is the main requirement for OSHA.
    Good Luck
    David Gerrer
    Technical Training Solutions, LLC
    www.TechTrngSols.com

Thank you all for your input- it's very helpful.

One more quick question- How in depth should we get into reviewing OSHA rules? I don't want to bore everyone to death with all the legal jargon, but I would like to review the important stuff. Any ideas of things we should cover, and things we could skip?

Thanks!

Fergus

I would also check the MIOSHA regulations.

Remember that Michigan has it's own regulations for Firefighters.

Go to WWW.Michigan.Gov/CIS, click on workplace safety and health then click on the standards section, General Industry Safety, Part 74.

I would also check out part 90, confined space adaption of federal standards.

Make sure that you do a simulated rescue once a year, the rescue should (really should) simulate an expected rescue in your service area.

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with the other guys on this. If your team only gets together once a year to meet the OSHA requirement, then I'd have to say you need to spread it out into ATLEAST a 2-3 day class, getting into as much detail as possible. Our team members are assigned together and we regulary train "in-house" on rules, regs, rigging, knots, etc. If the situation presents itself, we will do a "training entry", but if we do not have the oppurtunity within a year, we schedule a day to mark out of service to make the OSHA required entry.
    IAFF 995
    When it has to be done right,
    CALL THE RESCUE CO.!!!!!

Thread Information