Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Default responding for a dwelling

November 8

It was about 11:20 AM and i was at my house playing Grand Theft Auto:Vice City, which i had just received the day before. I have a couple friends over at my house watching me when all of a sudden my pager and instalert are going off. I run out of the room, threw my socks and shoes on, saw my friends out the door and locked the door. Tones were still sounding just as i got my shoes on. The call came in as a dwelling the next town over.

4 Stations and 2 squads were dispatched on the 1st alarm dwelling box. Our first engine was about to leave the station when this report came over the radio...

"County from 2910, we have a 1 story wooden (i think he said wooden) dwelling, heavy smoke pouring throughout the house with heave fire comming from division C (rear)"

we radioed that we were responding and blasted down the road at full emergency speed. We arrive and are immediatley put to action. All hands was sounded and 2 more stations were brought in.

I was doing some work at exterior division A (outside the front) when i found out whos house it was. A friend of mine from school lived there. The fire started in his room. I went over to him and talked to him for a bit, while also trying to do my job.

His room was gone, along with some extensions to other parts. that was hard for me. He didn't deserve that.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

im sorry to hear that but nobody ever deserves to have the room or there house on fire.ive havent had a friend whose room was burned but i still feel the pain ur feeling. but just for the record grand theft auto: vice city is a sweet game.

-garrett hitchcock

its not something you do...
    its something you are...
    E-one

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

yeah, it's a sweet game. Very hard game too.

My friend would joke about me being a firefighter at school along with some other friends. But i think his views have changed since this event. He saw me in action.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

You know it's always nice to see someoneís opinion of firefighters change to a positive image. I regret that it had to happen under these circumstances. You'll hopefully never loose that feeling of affecting someoneís life in such a dramatic and positive way.

For me that first really memorable experience was at 0300 after being on for 15 hours. A wildland fire was burning through an Urban Interface pretty hot, and a group of families had been allowed back into the area to bring us sandwiches and drinks. I don't think it really strikes you how hard a relitively routine job can affect others in such a profound way.

"G"

Thread Information