Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice???

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Unhappy Need advice???

Our explorer post currently has 3 members,we are all orignal members.
    Recently a explorer suggested that another kid join.
    I suggested a standerd probateion(I know its spelt wrong----it 230 am!) period for 6 months then we vote him in based upon attendance,work ethic,skill,and overall charicter.
    But this was sorta laughed at by the adviseors as foolish and me just being a harda**.

My problem is us explorers,when I started this did not have anything and had to do alot of work and waited a long time to get our gear and earn the respect and trust of our advisers.
    Im willing to give the kid a chance because I told the other explorer to have him come in.
    But I am afraid that this kid is gonna come in and expect gear and to do everything we are doing.

So my question is,how do I make it fair to the new kid to get him going but also keep it fair to us that have had to pay our dues and do the work that was required???

In my post we just got 20 new kids. We have the luxury of being part of a full union payed department. So now are post has 28 kids in it. We also have the great advantage of scoring gear from the firefighters plus old gear from are traning center.

Our post started out the same way as only a few kids. Those kids had to work hard to establish the post. This was also back in the early 80's. I have them to thank for the foundation they layed for future explorers.

I think you need to think about a few things such as. Do you want more kids? Do you want a bigger post? if so then you should welcome this kid and share your love of the fire service with him. I feel that you should accpet this kid but make him realize that you guys wokred hard and he needs to do the same and things will come as he puts more time and energy into the post.I.E. gear and such.

I would jump at the oppurtunity to grow. If you want more information on what we do with the new explorers and how we run our post I would be more then happy to send you my posts guidelines.

Nate Green
    B.C. Post 264
    nater_g@hotmail.com

Its a good idea to have them on probation. on our post we got gear and everything right away but we couldent ride along or anything for the first year. after that year the advisors had the athority to say if we could ride along or our probation was extended. in a post were u had to work hard for all your stuff a probationary period is a good idea for a new guy.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

At our department all incoming juniors must go through a 6 month probation period like you said to make sure they are there to work not just for the name. After your 6 month probation period is up you are brought in front of the department, the grievance commitee states whether they suggest you be brought off probation or whether you don't need to be there. As far as pager and gear you get it whenever it becomes available or when the department acquires some more. I hope this has helped and if you would like I could send you a copy of my departments JR BY-LAWS. If you would like for me to e-mail me at catfish1361@hotmail.com

Matt

I think that a probationary period for any new applicant is a good idea. It allows them time to "learn the ropes", get to know the members, what's expected of them, and so forth. It also allows you the ability to "freely" admit anyone and still maintain a way to weed out the "problem children"

Both the Fire Dept. & Rescue Squad (EMS Agency) that I volunteer with requires EVERY new member (Jr. or Sr.) to complete a 6 month probationary period, after which the general membership will vote to do one of the following:

- Remove the Member from probation.
    - Require another 6 months probation.
    - Terminate membership (w/o explanation).

Also - both give every applicant a copy of their constitution, By-Laws, and SOG's when they submit their application - that way they will know what is expected prior to becoming a member.

The F.D. requires that every new applicant meet with a "Screening Commitee" who then brings their recomendation back to the general membership before we ever vote to accept the persons application.

The R.S. requires that an applicant attend 3 squad functions (Meetings, Drills, Social Events, Fund Raisers, etc.) prior to our voting on the application.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

all our applicants meet with a committee made up of the post presidnet, captain, and first lt. if 2 of them vote for him, the new member is then voted on in the regular meeting. they have a 6 month probation after that. after the probation, the applicant is brought up to that committee again, and the committee can either give him/her full membership or terminate them.

MembersZone Subscriber fyrfyter33's Avatar

We let explorers join, and give them gear, but they must buy a uniform. Also, we have them fill out all the standard paperwork. After 1 year, the explorer is reviewed by the advisors and the Captain who oversees the explorers. If they know all the apparatus, and also how the department functions, then we let them ride along on Fire & EMS runs.

WOW YOU GUYS ARE STRICT. Im my post we have no probationary period and within a couple weeks of introduction the new member can ride along with our advisor on his shift. Yet there is one catch on the post we are all CFR and and if the newbie isn't then they are limitet to how many medicals they can go on and if they do go they can only observe.

Matt H
    President
    ESP. 25
    Northborough Ma

also the newbie can get there turnout gear the first night and yes they have to buy all the uniform stuff seperatly. But other than that we have no method of stating wether they are a good post member or not just if they break the bylaws or one of our other codes of conduct then they will be presented with the consequences.

Forum Member

Why not?
    Firefighters have a probation period. There have been several threads about peopole that join just for the title. This will help keep them out.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Forum Member

Smile

I agree completely, i don't think your been too hard because once in it hard to get rid of these members and many times the are just screwing around and can get the whole group in trouble. In our dept. you get 90 days probation and then you are voted on by the existing juniors, If you don't pass there you can request another 90 days you can try as many as 4 times before you have to wait 90 days and then can try again. If accepted you sign an agreement saying you will make as many meetings, calls, and work days as possible and once you goof up or just start skipping youre on suspension.

We've got a six month probie period for both junior and senior firefighters. It gives newcomers a chance to learn the ropes and get to know how the fire service works before committing to it full-time. During your probie time, you have to make as many calls as possible, go to all meetings and training nights, take occasional tests and pop-quizzes, and get to be the brunt off all jokes . After six months, you get SCBA certified (if you're a senior) and take a written and practical exam on everything you've been taught so far. Once you pass all the tests, you become a full-fledged member of the department.

Thread Information