Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Carins Viper Info

My Department is considering the Cairns Viper with the remote TV option. Any feedback from users on how the camera has held up in the field, usefulness of the TV option, any problems or surprises? This will be a big investment for us, want to make sure we get it right! Any feedback would be helpful, thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

While I'm not familiar with the Cairns TIC's, I'm curious on what the intent is of having the TV option.

If the intent of it is to have a command officer to play armchair quarterback outside the fire, I would say don't waste the money.
    Last edited by SFDchief; 11-11-2002 at 11:55 AM.

The TV option has a list of uses,one of the biggest being TIC training.Seasoned TIC personnel can point out valuable information to trainees outside the building while crews are working inside.The TV option can also be a valuable aid to the senior SO at actual indidents providing this individual has TI experience.I very heavily favor the use of telemetry during camera use provided that it is NOT RECORDED during actual incidents and that you have sufficent personnel available for the task. T.C.

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

G22: I don't know where you are located, but the best way to determine the usefullness of a thermal imager is to get references. Ask the Cairns distributor (and those of other TI's you are considering) for a list of end users. Then call those chiefs/officers, and ask THEM if it lives up to expectation. If you want proof of good service should the TI get damamged, ask for references that have used the service center. Note that the Cairns transmitter system is external; you should talk to FD's that use that system to get their opinion as well.

Sales people have biases...your brothers and sisters in the fire service should be able to give you a more honest review of any equipment you are considering.

Permanently Removed

I could see the value of the TV option as it provides another set of eyes. I don't want someone on the outside playing armchair QB, but at the same time, they are able t oconcentrate more on what the camera is showing. The guy inside is going to be concerned with more than just the image.

MembersZone Subscriber

The guy inside is going to be concerned with more than just the image
    The guy inside SHOULD be concerned with more than just the image. The individual using the tic should not get tunnel vision. We must continue to use our other senses. I've seen numerous individuals get caught off guard because of being too focused "watching tv" and not on the rest of his/her suroundings. While I believe the tic is a great tool (when used properly) proper training is a must. Most importantly, lets not forget what we did without them. A tic should compliment the prior training we've had, not take place of it.

This is exactly why I'm against "having another set of eyes" with the telemetry option. First off, how often do we have someone with nothing better to do than sit and watch tv? Second, if and when we do, that person is only seeing what's being shown on the tic. That person can not hear the fire, feel the fire, sence anything else than what the camera's pointed at. In turn that person will only consentrate on what's being displayed and the possibility is there for problems.

Scott,See above.As a TIC trainer I find the remote view option invaluable for training purposes and for use as a second set of eyes.That doesn't mean have a group of people standing around watching(unless you're training) but it does allow for a added measure of Safety if used correctly.I will often scan our unit and because of experience,I can pick out some dangerous situations that Interior crews might have missed.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has just purchased a Cairns Viper with monitor. We have not had the chance to use it at structure fire. Our sales rep was very well informed on the use of both the camera and monitor as his department also uses one. They will use the camera to do a 360 on the fire building depending on size and fire conditions. This will give the IC a valuable look around the building to get an idea of fire spread.
    Just one of the many uses for the monitor.

JF4

Thread Information