Forum Member

Question Schedules - what works for you?

In the past I remember seeing a discussion on all the different schedules that are out there, however now I cant find it so..

Please post what works for you and your likes and dislikes, we are currently looking at a major change here and would like some input.

Thanks

SBLGFD

Permanently Removed

Cool the 2x4 (48/96)

Hello, I am a big fan of the 2x4 schedule aka 48/96.
    I am in the process on completing a report on it but
    you know how life is. It is basiclly 2 days on and
    4 days off continusly.

There are sooo many advantages, but I dont know if I
    could list them all.

-LESS personnel driving, so less wear and tear on
    their vehicles LESS smog, LESS cars on the road.
    (all by 50% !!!)

-Gives Firefighters more time with family/hobies and
    better assist with child care issues.

-LESS checking out of the apparatus mess LESS wear and
    tear. (every other day vs everyday)

-MORE done in a 2 day shift. 1st day dedicated to
    training/maintenance, 2 to prevention/inspections and
    paperwork. More time to get projects done. (How many
    times have you tried to cram everything in a 24 hour
    period?)

-LESS sick leave. More time for personnel to heal and
    recopperate. Sick leave is DOWN so OT is down. (sorry
    guys) But, trade out those 2 days or take vacation and
    hello- 10 days off.

-BETTER communications with public. On an inspection,
    you can promise the public you will be calling back
    tomorrow vs. confusing them with "after my four day."

-Less waste of food and money. Crews reported making a
    big dinner the first shift, then having THEIR leftovers
    the next day.

If you get "hammered" the shift before, the Captain
    (who got hammered as well) has the latitude to let
    the crew sleep in.

Over all, everyone on the schedule liked it and have
    voted to continue with it. One Firefighter told the
    story how he was absolutly dead-set against it. NOW,
    he couldnt see working any other way. Another guy
    said "It feels like I am hardly at work, I love it."

Oh and please remember, it is NOT a "California thing",
    a department in New Mexico is using it as well.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-12-2002 at 01:28 PM.

Forum Member

We work a 4/4/4/6
    4 shifts on, rotating a day off in between, 4 days straight off, 4 shifts on, rotating a day off in between, then 6 straight days off.
    W=Work O=Off

W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-O-O

I live an hour away from the firehouse, so this works well for me. After some busy shifts that 4th shift can drag, but those 6 days off are awesome!

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

We work 4 on 4 off. Two 10hr day shifts, 24hrs off, Two 14hr night shifts, Four days off. I love this shift. Lots of time off. I used to work for up to 2 months at a time before getting days off so anything is an improvement.

Forum Member

I have worked both the 24/72 hour week, work 1 day off for three, and the 1/1/1/5. You work 24s with one day on, one day off, one day on, five days off. I prefer the latter of the two. You receive 13 days off for using one weeks' vacation as opposed to 11 using the 24/72 - call me a lazy bastard, as I am, but I just like an extra day off.

As stated, you usually reduce OT with the 24 hour shifts but there is still OT out there to be had and I know that this will be taken as heresy but OT is a benefit adn not to be relied upon in great scheme of things as income.

24 hour shifts are great but if you are on a busy department, 24s can give your guys a beating because you were humping all day and then you are out humping all night with very little rest for your guys. This is even more important for a department that puts its guys on an ambulance and doesn't rotate them.

There is another shift out there that I know of only 1 department using, Framingham, MA I believe, they work 24s with One on, two off, one on, four off. Either of the three shifts I mentioned brings your work week down to 42 hours per week over an 8 week cycle. This is good because the accepted work week nationwide is 40 hours so why should we work more hours and give up more time with our families?

Many chiefs do not like 24s because they feel it is too long of a time to be at the station, and cabin fever DOES set in at times, and that your guys will be spent if they catch a fire. There are also some chiefs that do not like thier guys being away from the station for four or 5 days straight every week, especially in a small department that has to be concerned with call back to help out at an incident.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

We work 24 on 48 off. This seems to work well for us. Due to FLSA rules we get a scheduled day off every 17 shifts, although this can be bargained. I have a couple friends whose new contract stipulates a day off every 12 shifts. I like the consitency of it. The number of days off after your shift is the same all the time. It is nice leaving the firehouse after being up all night and having two days at home.

We also have a 48 hour rule. We can not work more than 48 hours without at least 12 hours off.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well........

We have two options in our county, which is a combination department. Many people work "Daywork" which is 5 Eight hour days or 4 ten hour days per week. Daywork stations are covered by volunteers nights, weekends and holidays. Shift work is a 24/72 system for us but most surrounding jurisdictions work 24/48. I have several friends who work for Federal departments who are on a 24 on 24 off schedule. One person works for a small base with one station and 2 engines with "6 on the floor" per shift. Due to a number of vacancies, they are working mandatory overtime which amounts to everyone working 72 straight at least once each pay period. He says the money is good but his kids wonder who he is when he comes home. Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 11-12-2002 at 11:23 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by mark440
    We work a 4/4/4/6
    4 shifts on, rotating a day off in between,
    4 days straight off, 4 shifts on, rotating
    a day off in between, then 6 straight days off.
    W=Work O=Off
    Hey Mark, I like that schedule too, but you're
    suppose to agree with me on this subject too...
    (LOL)

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb schedule

we work a 24 on 24 off three day set. you work 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 72 off, it's a great schedule and it takes 3 platoons to run. Southeast of my department in the Jefferson Parish area they work a 24 on 24 off 5 day set working 24 on 24 off till you work 5 days then you get 6 days off(24on,24off,24on,24off,24on,24off,24on,24off,24 on,144off)
    not a bad schedule either but it takes forever to get to your off time. hope this helps

JJ

Permanently Removed

Smile Re: schedule

Originally posted by captnjack
    not a bad schedule either but it takes forever
    to get to your off time. hope this helpsJJ

With all of the back and forth 24s and taking "forever
    to get some time off", I am amazed some people dont
    take a closer look at the 2x4 schedule. (2 days on,
    4 days off) You get your days off with no waiting,
    less driving time, less gas spent so more $$$ in YOUR
    pocket.

I think in any times, good or bad, saving $$$ is a
    good thing. And trust me, for the guys that havent
    had a four day, you dont know what youre missing.

I forgot to mention moral is up with this schedule
    too.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-12-2002 at 01:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post 4/6

I work the same schedule as Mark440, 4 on 4 off, 4 on 6 off. Everything he says about this schedule is true, that 4th shift can be a biatch!

I'm on a six-day right now!
    Living the dream...

Forum Member

Brett, I do like that 48/96 schedule, it has some great points, but I love my 6 days off too much to leave the schedule I'm on now. I'm starting 4 days off today, but working for a pal, so I'm working 48, then 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, then start my 4 shifts all over again! I have the Thanksgiving week off on 6 days, what more do I need?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

This is good because the accepted work week nationwide is 40 hours so why should we work more hours and give up more time with our families?

At the risk of being flamed alive, 'cause there's beds in the firehouse. Most people aren't doing much with their families at 3 in the morning, and most people who are at work at 3 in the morning don't have the option of going to bed unless there's an emergency to attend to.

As I understand it, one of the original ideas behind the four-platoon 10/14 shifts was to keep firefighters in busy departments/companies from being on the go twenty four hours a day.

It's increasingly common in the Northeast, where four-platoon prevails, to see 24 on/72 off schedules. Hey, the City Managers are stuck with the 42 hour work week based on precedents of their predecessors. But I think most of us can at least emphathize with them when they roll their eyes about Firefighters who get 42 hour work weeks and sleep time.

I think some of the 2/4, and I've even seen a ski-resort with 3/6 shifts, can be a blessing or a curse. If you need to staff a remote station, 2/4 can work fine. But the other side is departments in high-cost areas may use them to hire firefighters for less pay since they can live much farther away in lower cost of living areas. Hey, I can pay somebody from town who can't make less than $50,000 or hire somebody three counties away whose willing to work for $35,000.

(Dal retreats quickly, flinging up the nomex hood and scrambles to find the aluminized turnouts)

Forum Member

First off Dal, I do not sleep well when I am at the station, and when was the last time you had an all night in?

Yes I am sleeping at work but whether I worked 42 or 56 hour work week I will still be sleeping at the fire house so what is the difference? In addition, most people that work a 56 hour work week are not paid more for it, they actually make a lower hourly wage when all is said and done. Look at the poor guys down south working 56 hour weeks but still only making 20 - 24 thousand a year, what the hell is up with that? Plus you are missing a third day a week away from those little ankle biters and rug rats. Me personally, I hate working the nights because I like to be with my wife, if you do get to sleep, you are still only talking 8 hours out of the shift IF you stay in all night, which I can count the number of times that has happened in 4 years on one hand.

As I understand it, one of the original ideas behind the four-platoon 10/14 shifts was to keep firefighters in busy departments/companies from being on the go twenty four hours a day.
    But most of the departments are working a 24 hour schedule if they have full time coverage, so, you are paying them to sleep more by working a 56. Miami, LA, Charleston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and many more large and small departments all work a 56 hour week and these are some pretty damned busy departments - with many running EMS units that get their asses handed to them every shift so how can that argument hold water?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dalmatian90
    At the risk of being flamed alive, 'cause there's beds in the firehouse. Most people aren't doing much with their families at 3 in the morning, and most people who are at work at 3 in the morning don't have the option of going to bed unless there's an emergency to attend to.
    I'd much rather be sleeping next to a good looking woman that I'm married to (if I were) then sleeping in the same room with a couple other guys who snore all night, fart and stink the place up and wake me up all night long.
    I work a 56 hour work week, I make less then $8.50 an hour. I don't make overtime until after I reach that magical 54th hour. I also do training all day, chores, run calls and maybe sneak in a few minutes for lunch or dinner. After the sun goes down, it isn't very often you get to sleep. I find it difficult to get back to sleep after running a call. Just after I finally fall asleep, the alarm goes off again and back to work we go... day in and day out

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by mark440
    Brett, I do like that 48/96 schedule, it
    has some great points, but I love my 6 days
    off too much to leave the schedule I'm on now.
    *Mark
    Marky-Mark...Wouldnt you rather have 3-4 "4 days"
    a month vs. one 6 day? I would. Plus less driving,
    lower gas credit card bill and hey, less miles on
    my car.

Mark..Also, what city do you work for in Utah?
    Logan? My bud, UTFFEMT works in Utah county?
    Where are you? PM me if ya want...Brett

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Syracuse, New York

City of Syracuse, NY

(4 Platoons)

4 On / 4 Off

Your first two days on you work days, 7AM - 4PM

Your second two days on you work nights, 4PM - 7AM

Then you have 4 days off, then start it over again.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Thread Information