Thread: Basic Equipment

Forum Member

Default Basic Equipment

I know that something similar to this has been posted before. (Key word SIMILAR)

What are some of the BASIC, BASIC, things that you keep in your gear, and what are their BASIC applications.

Here is the background to this post. I've been doing this for almost a year now. Finally got the big numbers for my helmet. Somebody got some flashlight holders, so I just need to find the right kind of light. Another guy is going to bring me some of his spare geoflex reflective tape, and I will put that on instead of my old stuff. Decided that I should put some med gloves in my gear, just incase. So I am also looking for some other improvements, but I want to take it slow, that's why I asked for just the basics.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Basic basics:

1 glove pouch (on suspenders)
    1 cpr mask pouch (on suspenders)
    1 flashlight
    1 set safety glasses
    2 pairs nitrile med gloves (1 in pouch, one in pocket)
    1 cpr mask (in pouch)

That's all I really need. Can't go into structure fires, so there's no need for golf tees or door wedges, anything else I need is on the engine.

Forum Member

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff that I am looking for. In the previous posts, many people list tons of things, and I'm just trying to take some small steps up.

Starting small is the way to go, then you can work up to stuff that other people carry because they think they're highspeed or something. Weird stuff like golfballs...HUH??? It's called a ladder and an axe if you're that desperate to ventilate the second story of a structure.

Forum Member

Any recommendations on a good CPR mask? I looked through GALLS once, but there are too many, and there's no pictures, and the terms are all so technical I can't figure them out. Don't want to get the wrong thing.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

A good CPR mask to get is the Laerdal Pocket Mask, once you use it, all you have to do is clean it in a solution of bleach and hot water and replace the one way valve. Almost all of our personnel have them and I recommend them to EVERYONE!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Temporarily/No Longer Active

RES-Q-WRENCH!!!!!

can be used as a spanner wrench,gas main shut off,seat belt cutter,window punch.

-garrett

its not something you do...
    its something you are...
    E-one

WFDjr1 brings up a good point with the cpr masks. Make sure you get one that's reusable. I also recommend a Laerdal, I keep one in my med kit, but my dept issues one time use ones, so that's what I keep in my bunker gear.

Forum Member

RO833
    LaerdalŪ Pocket Mask w/One Way Valve, Filter, O2 Nipple and Headstrap

Double your protection against cross-contamination with Laerdal's new Pocket Mask with Improved One-Way Valve and Filter Barrier. The mask includes an O2 inlet and head strap. Fits in a lightweight and compact pocket size container. The valve and filter fit all LaerdalŪ Pocket Masks.
    ----------------------
    RO834
    LaerdalŪ Pocket Mask w/One Way Valve and Filter

Double your protection against cross-contamination with Laerdal's new Pocket Mask with Improved One-Way Valve and Filter Barrier. Fits in a lightweight and compact pocket size container. The valve and filter fit all LaerdalŪ Pocket Masks.
    -----------------------
    RO835
    Laerdal Pocket Mask One Way Replacement Valve, 10/box

Improved One-Way Valve. Fits in a lightweight and compact pocket size container. Valve fits all Laerdal Pocket Masks. Box of 10.

Mask, filter, and case not included.
    -------------------------
    Questions:
    1.) Is there any major difference between the first two products.
    2.) Does anybody know of a place to get less refills, because I doubt I will be using it anytime, so I don't think i need 10(or to spend $60).
    3.) Don't you need to replace the filter also?

Forum Member

the only thing that is in my pant pockets is my RES-Q-WRENCH does just about everything. and well i have my flashlight but it is clipped to my coat

JrFireman:

1) difference is in the construction: The first product has a design that allows you to use the mask in conjunction with an O2 canister. It also has a head strap, which although it makes keeping the mask in place easier, isn't really necessary.

2&3) contrary to popular belief, I am not omniscient about cpr masks. I would assume that you can't get replacement valves in single packages, but if you clean it after you use it and no one else uses it but you, you should be fine. I have no idea about the filter. Maybe someone else could fill us in on that one.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

You'll note on a Res-Q-Wrench that it has the ability to be used as a devise to pry with... What ever you do; Don't try-to-pry when that sucker is cold... The dang thing breaks right in half....

The Res-Q-Wrench is junk. i coulent even make a conection with that thing.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would assume that you can't get replacement valves in single packages, but if you clean it after you use it and no one else uses it but you, you should be fine. I have no idea about the filter. Maybe someone else could fill us in on that one.
    O.K. - A quick check of Laerdal's web site has revealed that the filter is an insert that goes on the Inside of the Mask (Pt. Side) and snaps up into the same passage that the one way valve connects to from the outside.

Also they are offering an "Update Pack" which has 1 Filter and 1 One-Way valve for $5.50 + S/H (Part # 820700).

If your agency doesn't issue such items to you, then I would recommend that you talk to your local American Red Cross chapter. Our chapter buys these things in bulk (at considerable discount) and then turns around and sells them at barely above cost.

I would skip the model with the O2 Port & strap unless your just bound & determined to have them. Odds are you'll never use the O2 port anyway.

I'll be glad to help you find answers to any questions you have about other barrier devices if you like, but I would recommend you stick with this style of device.

Now on to the primary question - what's in my gear.
    Tools
    4" Lock Blade Knife w/ half serrated blade
    Insulated Diagonal Cutters
    6" Slip Joint Pliers (Channel lock type)
    Folding Screwdriver set (Folds like allen wrenches - has 4 flat & 4 Phillips bits)
    Spanner Wrench
    and a Res-Q-Wrench that the Dept. issued us that I wouldn't take 2 cents for.

* Note that all of the affore mentioned items (with the exception of the Res-Q-Wrench) are all "Flea Market Specials" $9 total for everything (the other spanner wrench was a door prize I won somewhere). I buy cheap so if I break or loose something I'm not out a lot of $$

Misc.
    Gloves - Latex Medical - 2 pair in a small holder on my suspenders
    25' of 1" Webbing 5000# strength. Daisy chained and stored in my radio pocket on my Left Sleeve along with a locking D 'biner
    Roll of 2" Cloth First Aid Tape (Never can find tape at an MVA when I want it)
    Last edited by N2DFire; 11-13-2002 at 01:07 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Res-Q-Wrench

The Res-Q-Wrench isn't designed to take the place of a real pry bar, or spanner wrench. Where the Res-Q-Wrench has earned its keep on our deparment is knocking windows out of cars and cutting the seat belts. Its a fantastic tool to have, and everyone on our deparment has one.

Forum Member

Good idea, N2DFIRE.
    Although we don't have any flea markets around here, the next time there are garage sales around here, I'm going to go see if I can find some cheap tools that look useful/interesting.

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by SARfreak
    Basic basics:

1 glove pouch (on suspenders)
    1 cpr mask pouch (on suspenders)
    1 flashlight
    1 set safety glasses
    2 pairs nitrile med gloves (1 in pouch, one in pocket)
    1 cpr mask (in pouch)

That's all I really need. Can't go into structure fires, so there's no need for golf tees or door wedges, anything else I need is on the engine.
    2 cpr masks? Do alot of CPR down there, huh?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Not positive, but I think he was saying he had one CPR mask in a pouch. The first one says CPR mask pouch. The second one says CPR mask (in pouch)

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I would skip the model with the O2 Port & strap unless your just bound & determined to have them. Odds are you'll never use the O2 port anyway.
    If you have enough time to hook up the O2 port, you have enough time to hook up the BVM. And I don't like the head strap idea, suppose the victim vomits and you have to quickly remove the mask before they asphyxiate(sp?)?
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

I carry a knife, latex gloves, and my hood, also my firefighting gloves that is mostly all you need other than maybe a folding spanner wrench. I have found they are neccesity for juniors since all we do is break down hose.
    "pain is temporary pride is forever"

Forum Member

What kind of things do you use the knife for? Anybody know of a good collapsable spanner wrench? I've heard lots of good, but also some bad about the Res-Q-Rench, so I would like to check out some more.

MembersZone Subscriber

RES-Q-Wrench is good for MVA's and propping doors and such, but when you get a stuck coupling, you really need an alloy folding spanner wrench, cause the Res-Q-Wrench will just flex, and the alloy one will actually loosen really tight couplings, or caps. Webbing is good to have. Can be used for all kinds of stuff. Waterproof battery flashlight, like a pelican or streamlight. Door wedges/sprinkler wedges (a must). You can easily cut these out of wood, or get really fancy and buy the rubber ones. Some people carry tools and electrical testers and all that, but I just carry a Craftsman Professional Multitool. Guaranteed for life, and it has slip lock plieres, so if you have to, you can use it on larger things. One carabiner, and 40ft of 8mm rope. just enough to get out with a munter hitch on a carabiner, and the webbing used to make a harness, in an emergency.

Thread Information