Forum Member

Unhappy IVFA Chaplain for 30 years passes on.........

30 year Chaplain for the Indiana Volunteer Firemans Association, Duane Lantz, passed on at his home in Scipio Twp.,LaPorte County last night at approximately 10 pm.

Duane was a charter member and the first Chief of the Scipio Twp. VFD. He was insturmental in organizing and helping several local departments get their start.

He served as Chaplain for 30 years and was named fireman of the year in 1969 by the IVFA. Duane served his community as a township advisory board member for many years, and remained on the fire department as a lifetime member, and board member for life on the board of directors.

His wit and dedication to duty will be sorely missed, not only by Scipio Twp., but by all who were privledged to know him.

I count myself as lucky to have known Duane, and to have broken bread with him. To all who read this.........please........get a shot of Lord Calvert and pepermint schnapps half and half, and raise it to his memory. Duane would always be there with a 'phone call' after a bad call. Lets all answer the phone for him.

Thank you.

Wayne Zeman
    Kingsbury VFD, formerly Scipio Twp.VFD
    Last edited by 1835Wayne; 11-14-2002 at 10:15 AM.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy

I'm deeply sorry for your loss Wayne, both for the department's sake and you personally. Father Mychal must've needed the Chaplain more than he was needed here. May Duane Rest in Peace.

Wayne if you need someone to talk to you know how to reach me.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thumbs up Thanks Wayne

Wayne, I know I can speak for the rest of Scipio Fire when I say thank you for the fine remembrance of Duane. Having served with you, I know that we both share found memories of Duane, and that he with always hold a special place in our hearts. Let us never forget the things that he accomplished for Scipio, but also for us as fellow humans. Duane was diffently one of a kind and will definatly be sorely missed by all of those who had the pleasure and honor of knowing him. Thanks again, Wayne. Your brother at Scipio, fense

Forum Member

Default Over 1,000 attend IVFA Memorial

Last night the IVFA held a memorial service for Duane Lantz, former Chaplain and member of the IVFA. Over 1,000 were in attendance for the memorial. This number included 3 past presidents of the IVFA and numerous other officers ,past and present, including current President Buzz Kohler.

Fire departments from across the state were represented, including many career fireman who knew aand respected Duane. During the memorial, Duanes widow, Grace, was presented with a bible and marker for his stone from the IVFA, and a bible from the IVFA Auxilary, which Duane was a member of in latter years.

Duane will be laid to rest later today in Door Village Cemetary. He will be carried there on top of Scipio Engine 3, which he rode on top of for the 4th of July parade this year.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Thanks Wayne

I was Father Lantz`s Grandson and i will miss him alot. I am Also on the scipio Twp Fire Dept and was majorly influenced by my grandpa and my Father Pete Sass. I was Never Old Enogh to Enjoy a Phone call But I sure would of if i could of. Thank you to all the firemen and Ivfa Members who were at the Funeral and the viewing and for all who didnt make it im sure there were reasons but the funeral was one of the best with the LaPorte City Fire Department crossind the areials on one of the side streets the procession led us down. Thank you to all.

Thread Information