Thread: Vertex Repeater

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vertex Repeater

I am seeking information on a repeater made by Vertex. It is their VXR7000 model, in the 150 MHz, VHF, range. Vertex's literature says that it can be used as a 10 to 50 watt base, or as a 40 watt repeater. Reliability and quality are the main concerns.

The Vertex 7000 is a pretty good repeater depending on what you are going to use it for.

Is it:
    1. Going to be the primary repeater for a municipal department?
    2. Going to be the back up to the primary at a seperate location?
    3. Going to be a desktop radio used occasionally as a repeater?
    4. Going to be used with a telephone link to a remote dispatch center?
    5. A nice thing to have but you really aren't sure what you are going to use it for?

The first thing you have to look at is the amount of air time used. If the channel is constantly busy (more than 30 minutes out of 60) you might start running into problems. The fan on the vertex isn't the greatest. I would look at replacing it with a larger/greater CFM full time fan.

I have used the 7000 UHF model and was told that it would not support the telephone link. We got it to work but I really wouldn't want to do it again. The radio shop submitted an overtime and parts bill I don't even want to think about.

If you are going to use it for a spare or emergency repeater it is one of the best.

Make sure if buying new that your contract calls for freq changes at no charge.

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Kevin,

1. It will be used primarily as a repeater and occasionally as a desktop base radio for a small volunteer company, making <100 runs per year.

2. Our county dispatch repeater is too distant to hit with our portable radios. The vehicle radios hit the county repeater satisfactorily.

3. We are installing a vehicular repeater in our first response medical truck and possibly one in our first out engine. Hopefully, it/they will solve most of our on-scene portable radio transmission problems. Our problems may then be reduced to communications of firefighters using portables between dispatch time and on scene arrival. Also for non-emergency communications on a talk around channel.

4. A telephone link will not be used.

5. We have a GE Master II base radio that can be converted to a repeater with one pair of freqs for about $500. It is 110 volt, 150 MHz range, and 110 watt.

6. The VXR-7000 will cost five times more, but would have 16 programmable channels, 40-watt output as a repeater, narrow band capability, and a three-year warranty.
    Last edited by AC1503; 11-17-2002 at 10:04 PM.

[/B][/QUOTE]
    5. We have a GE Master II base radio that can be converted to a repeater with one pair of freqs for about $500. It is 110 volt, 150 MHz range, and 110 watt.

6. The VXR-7000 will cost five times more, but would have 16 programmable channels, 40-watt output as a repeater, narrow band capability, and a three-year warranty. [/B][/QUOTE]

To quote Tim Taylor

POWER, MORE POWER!!!!!

You might want to look at the GE, the only advantage to the 7000 that I can see is the warrenty.

Check with your radio service guy or his competitors (always love a little bidding war ) You might be able to get something a little less expensive.

Also just a thought, Make sure that the license you will be using is authorized for the number of base stations using it. A repeater is counted as a base station.

A base station is anything that is not mounted inside a vehicle and is sitting on anything hooked up to line power. Your repeaters, central dispatch and all the desktop mobile units in all the fire stations are base stations.

For that matter make sure that the agency holding the license will allow you to use the freq's with the repeater (get it in writing).

Good luck

Intermitent radio comms are enough to drive me nuts, oh wait a minute, my wife says that's a short walk

Kevin

Thread Information