Forum Member

Default extracation tool

I am looking for a hand tool to carry and am familiar with the res-q-me tool but was wandering if there was any other options for an all-in-one or combination of things I could cary to help with extrication and over all improve my performance as a vol. firefighter.

Forum Member

I just saw the res-q-rench and that looks good, but would like to know if anyone has used it and if so how does it rate? Or any other ideas would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Been carrying a res-q-wrench for about 2 years now. Love it, nice and light yet you can crank on it for hose couplings. Have used it to force open a door, busted many windows with it, and it has a seat belt cutter, a gas shut off wrench, and an O2 tank valve wrench built in. We also have a couple of spares on the rescue pumper. It does not fit all types of couplings, so you may want to try one on yours before buying (mine does not like old brass 1.5" coupling, or any coupling with pin type lugs). You would not think you could pry so hard with it, but I have yet to see one break. Several of us here carry one, nice when breaking down, don't have to walk back to the engine to get stortz spanners, the wrench works fine on 5"LDH. Will even open the locks on our LDH. Also carry a leatherman type tool.

Forum Member

Arrow

My first choice would be a Leatherman or the generic equivillent there-of . I have often thought of getting a fencing tool to carry since they have multiple tools all in one with a little more "umph!" than the Leaterman. I would probably try to grind one of the handles to make a screwdrive end that you could also pry with. I believe I have seen somewhere else on the forums where someone on here is carrying one.. so maybe we will hear from that member on this one.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Fencing tool, eh? Epee, foil, or saber? Touche.

I've thought about one of those tools, really powerful wire cutters, and serve as a hammer too. I like the screwdriver idea. A leatherman can be used to punch out a car window, although its tough. I like the res-q-wrench because I used to carry a folding spanner anyway, so now I've consolidated. I also carry a shingler's hammer (looks like a tomahawk).

dazed and confused

Originally posted by Fire304
    tomahawk
    Oh brother!

laff

I don't see how you can beat the res-q-rench. I also carry TFT's smaller window punch/seat belt cutting keychain (the res-q-me, like you mentionned). Very handy.

I carried a leatherman wave tool. The times I needed it were times when I wasn't wearing turnouts... like at home, or around the station, or someplace other than a call. In the year I carried it, it was never used. So rather then haul around a hunk o' metal I didn't used, I'm sorry to say that I pulled the leatherman from my starting lineup of pocket tools.

The arsenal, as of tonight:
    Helmet: 2 hoods, 2 rubber wedges, assorted fun stickers

Coat: Responder light, 24' webbing, Spyderco Rescue Jr. knife, res-q-wrench, linesman pliers/cutters, speaker mic for portable

Pants: Gutbelt, with heavy-duty locking carabiner, 7' of webbing with loops in each end in a handy holder on the belt, FF gloves carried in a non-velcro holder on the belt, thigh pocket=50' of lifeline with hardware pre-rigged, other thigh pocket=2 wedge-it's (very handy), extrication gloves.

I have a waist pack I bring along (rarely wear) that has a bunch of good PPE in it. Nice goggles, hearing protection, sleeves, TB mask, stethoscope, some money, etc. Also has START MCI triage equipment.

I also drag along an SCBA mask bag with my mask.

Res-q-wrench is my favorite though. Great tool.

My department found the res-Q-wrench so useful that they purchased every member one to cary in there turnouts. Plus we carry a couple in every truck . The tool can do a lot and is almost always the right tool for the little jobs.
    Everything that I post is my opinion only, none of this should be taken as fact.

Forum Member

I have a Res-Q-rench, works fine for everything mentioned excpt the gas shut-off. The opening is too small for the gas valves on the residential service lines in my area. A lot of the shutoffs are so tight that any spanner is too short to put enough torque on them to turn them. I carry an Iowa-American truckie tool (16", A-type lock puller on one end, fork end on the other) and have found the fork is perfect for the gas shutoffs, and it's long enough to give you the leverage you need. I didn't like the mini-halligan model that has the pike on it - I know someone who fell on theirs (while it was hanging at their side) and harpooned a kidney. The pike isn't big enough on the mini-bars to be worthwhile IMHO. It doesn't replace a 30" halligan, but I get a lot of use out of it. And it's always with me. I hang the thing off one side of a Gut Belt, and have a Vulcan handlight on the other side. Other than the gas shutoff shortcomings, the Res-Q-Rench is a pretty decent tool.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

I have carried fence pliers so long that I can't remember how long, but for at least 30 years. I got a Res-Q-Wrench last year. Someone see if a Res-Q-Wrench will last 30 years. I won't be around that long. The steeple hook on the fence pliers will take out a window before that itty bitty point on the Res-Q-Wrench even makes a scratch.

Galls has a new tool that looks like a Leatherman multi-tool with the pliers replaced by a spanner/hammer/window-punch/gas shut-off/O2 wrench extension. Looks kinda interesting. Mrs. Claus will probably be bringing me one for Christmas, so I'll send in a report once I put it through some tests.

I'm attempting to attach a photo "borrowed" from Galls' web site (I have no affiliation with Galls whatsoever ).

Let's try that again...

Thread Information