Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Webbing- Flat or Tubular?

Is there any standard that dictates what kind of webbing should be used for rescue? We are currently using 2" flat webbing (wanted the tubular kind; overruled by the previous chief).

I'm under the impression that tubular webbing is superior. Am I correct?

I've heard of teams using tubular webbing as a "sock" to cover communication and air lines, what other benefits does it have? (If I'm going to convince the chief to buy new webbing, I'll need a list of benefits)

Thanks!

Forum Member

Fergus,
    We use tubular and all the teams I know of use tubular. I can't remember the specific advantages but I will find out for you and get back to you.

If tubular webbing is supposed to be so superior, why are seat belts made from flat webbing?
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

Some 2" flat webbing can have strengths as high as 9,000 pounds breaking strength. I can see a value in having my anchor web as strong as my main line. There are, however, trade offs. 2" webbing is more expensive and bulkier. It is typically more difficult to tie and set knots. Our hardware may not accomodate the bulk. It is also not as readily available as 1" tubular webbing. The key in decision making is an informed user.

Forum Member

Flat webbing is typically used in the form of anchor straps which provide a strong easily constructed anchor. However, flat webbing is very limited in its uses. It does not hold knots very well which is the largest limiting factor. Tubular webbing on the other hand is far more supple and holds knots nicely. One inch tubular webbing is one of the most versatile tools in the rescuers tool box and it is compact and very strong(20kn or 4500lb single strand). One great application for tubular webbing is the wrap three pull two anchor. The strength of this anchor is around 45-50kn or 10,000-11,250lbs. Because the webbing is more supple than flat, it is not as prone to damage from sharp bends. This can be an issue in industrial environments where you are using steel I-beams and H-columns for anchor points. The stiffer flat webbing does not conform to the corners as well. When you make a sharp bend, the fibers on the inside are in compression while the fibers on the outside of the bend are in tension. This is what leads to reduction in strength. It can also be used to make litter bridles, evacuation harnesses, etriers(ladders), litter lashing, multipoint anchors, load distributing anchors, etc, etc. The list is only limited by your imagination. You will get far more bang for your buck with tubular webbing.

Forum Member

Talking

Resqtek has answered this question very well.

Fergus - take in a sample of the 2" flat and a sample of the 1" tubular. Have the chief tie some knots in both. Use some 'biners to connect 2 or 3 strands/pieces together. Now depending on your application - the choice will quickly become apparent. Suppleness, "knotability" (set/dress, etc., and low bulk/high strength are all significant benefits.

Tubular webbing is exceptionally versatile for the reasons noted. Worried about strength? Throw in an extra loop........bigger is not always better

Default Webbing

All of our Team's webbing is in accordance with the Rescue Systems Curriculum.

Webbing specs are as follows:

1" flat / Type 18 (Heavy duty)

Webbing is color coded for length:

Green - 5'
    Yellow - 12'
    Blue - 15'
    Orange - 20'
    Green with Black End - 25" (Lashing Patient in Stokes Basket)

Red - 35' (Lashing objects)
    TecRsq
    North Georgia

- Let No Mans Ghost Come Back To Say My Fire Training Let Me Down -

Thread Information