View Poll Results: ?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • ?

0 0%
  • ?

0 0%

Default No Power-No Phone

I live in a rural county of 8000 people and on several occasions we have lost power and/or telephone (land line and cellular). I was wondering what other communities have in place for the citizens who require fire/ems to do in these situations to get services? Thanks in advance for the help!

Forum Member

We have lost phones several times in the past (gotta love living in the sticks ). We make ourselves visible to the public such as standing by in a truck at a major intersection or store. We also had a group of ham operators out and standby at our main station for communications back to the larger cities in case of paramedic unit or mutuail aid is needed. Those hams our great! If you have any in your area make contact with them and they will love doing a training exercise with you and you will be amazed at some of the equipment they have. Good luck!
    Brian Cook
    Asst. Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

We have never lost all the phones in the area. We do have the capability to use a satalite phone to communicate with other agencies that have not lost phones if necessary.

Forum Member

My agency has only lost capabilities once after a bad lightning strike to our main tower, knocked out everything. That only lasted a day. We used our county PSAP as our center. They have the ability to transmit on our channel and vice versa. They also used portable radios and cell phones. There are too many back ups and redundant systems for us to lose phones radio or anything else... except for that lightning... All 911 centers should have a secondary PSAP.

Forum Member

We ran into a problem in the middle of a beautiful, sunny day without a cloud in the sky. For some reason, the power for half the town just decided to go out. Just so happens that our dispatch center and main fire station were affected. Second damnest thing - the emergency generator wouldn't fire up. Kind of a pucker factor for a couple of minutes until the switch was flipped and the 911 calls were rerouted to our county dispatch. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as the power came back on, that friggin generator started. Isn't technology great?
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I work for a county 911 center and if a portion of our county loses phone service we tone out for all of the stations in the area both fire and EMS to stand by in thier station and then use the media to alet the public that if they have a problem to go to their nearest fire or ambulance station. If the 911 center loses phone service we have the phone company route everything to 5 cell phones we have specifically for that type of problem .
    "Remember courage is only fear that has said its prayers"
    "Leather Forever"
    "FDNY 9/11/01"
    IACOJ since 3/03

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to second the comment about using amatuer radio operators in you plans. I am a ham myself, and working with the county EOC right now to get hams worked into the planning to a greater degree.

The communications capability your averagham has at his disposal would amaze you. We have repeators in almost every community, more HF, VHF, and UHF spectrum available than you could fill in an emergency, and can work from almost any location. I can pack enough gear in a small box to contact everything from local hams on teh repeators to the state EOC in raliegh or any FEMA office, all I need is 12v for power if I don't bring myy deep cycle battery and a tree to hang an antenna in.

I amazed or county EM when I told him I could use my HF radio the size of a cigar box to contact teh state EOC 350 miles away, without paying $2.99 a minute for sat phone time like he had been doing.

Thread Information