Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Default this is gonna drive you nuts!!!

There are 3 words in english that end in "gry" 1,angry 2 hungry 3?????.
    someone sent me this and its driveing me nuts!

Default I knew I'd seen this before.....

dfdex ..... the riddle has to be worded properly in order for it to make sense. Here is the proper wording along with a website for you to go and check it out.

Here is the riddle in its original form (going back about 20 years):

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

---only 3 words in the English Language.... what is the 3rd word ....... Language is the 3rd word *grin*

Hmmmmmmm the link didn't work so forget it, I just copied and pasted what was on the page ( I found it through Ask Jeeves)

The Great
    "GRY" Riddle

By now, most of you have seen the seemingly-perplexing riddle that's been going around on various radio shows, copiers and fax machines, and of course, every listserv in existence. The riddle seems to have perplexed just about everyone. Many people have attempted to be helpful and have posted lengthy explanations, many of which, it seemed, were more incomprehensible than the original riddle.

So, why then does this riddle continue to mystify even the hardiest puzzle-solvers? Simple! It's because the riddle itself is almost always stated INCORRECTLY! That's right. The way the riddle is most often told, there IS no answer!

Don't believe me? Let's start by reading the riddle as it is usually told. Here goes:

"There are three words in the English language that end in GRY. Two are HUNGRY and ANGRY. The third one everyone uses every day and knows what it stands for. If you listened carefully, I already told you what the word is."

Sound familiar? I'll bet that YOU heard the riddle worded something like that, right? And if that's how you heard it, no wonder you've been wracking your brain trying to find the answer. But you know what? There IS no correct answer! This riddle or a version of it, has been around for at least 20 years. In the ORIGINAL format (as you'll soon see), it makes sense and is a true riddle in the sense that, once you find the answer, you slap your forehead and go "Of course!"

So, what IS the correct version, you ask? Be patient, because first we have to consider the nature of riddles. By definition, they are mind-teasers that use word tricks. A riddle is not a trivia question for which you can go to a reference book and look up an answer. In a true riddle, there's always some sneaky little trick that makes such a straight answer impossible. So to find the sneaky little trick in this -GRY puzzler, think of the way magic is performed. The magician does something to divert your attention away from what he is actually up to. If you watch very closely when all those scarves are being waved about, you realize that much of the action on stage is simply a technique to confuse or befuddle you so that you will not catch on to the magician's sly movements. That lovely assistant who parades around in high heels and sequins is there primarily to keep you distracted so you won't figure out the trick. (Hey, it works on ME!) Now back to the riddle.

Here is the riddle in its original form (going back about 20 years):

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

In its proper, original form, the first two sentences have absolutely nothing to do with the question: "Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them." Ignore those two sentences. They are there only to throw you off course. (And it worked, didn't it?) What's left is the actual riddle itself: "There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."
    The key is the phrase "the English language." In this three-word phrase, the third word is simply the word "language." Get it? "Language" is definitely something that "everyone uses every day"! Without that quirky little twist, the puzzle would be just another trivia question, not a riddle.

You might be tempted to say something like: "That can't be the right answer. It's too stupid!" Hey, remember that most riddles ARE "stupid." For example, there's an old riddle which asks: "What is Bozo the Clown's middle name?" (The answer is "the." Now THAT'S "stupid"!)

A final note: There are, or have been in the past, a number of English words ending in -GRY, for example, "mawgry," and "iggry" and even an obscure noun, "gry," that means a small unit of measure. (For a list of ONE HUNDRED such obscure words, click here.) Many people thought they had solved this puzzle when they found one of these words in old dictionary or by scouring the Internet. But c'mon, folks, when's the last time you used a word like "mawgry" or "iggry" in everyday conversation? The thing about riddles is, you must follow them to the letter or they just don't work. This one got messed up somewhere along the way and has become somewhat of a cruel hoax (and perhaps even an "urban legend").

I hope this explanation has been helpful.
    Last edited by PFire23; 11-14-2002 at 12:12 AM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default dfdex

The link didn't work so I edited and added what was on the page the link was supposed to take you to. Read through it, the riddle is explained there. It's all in the wording of the riddle, which by the way over time has gotten all screwy so it's rarely worded properly.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

OHHHH GOD THAT WAS STUPID!

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Question

I had a dream....that there were these three words.....and two of them made me angry, then I was hungry...and after that, I woke up.

WHAT the heck???!!!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member
    Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

But oh great riddle master that does not end in "GRY." That can't be right. Right?

Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

Life is full of questions like this. I used to ask people why things were the way they were. They would always tell me just because they are. I came to understand that.

It is because it is.

I now tell people that same thing sometimes.

Matt

Lightbulb WOW

Can all of you say:

Hooked on phonics
    Gods Speed to our Troops!

If you can't stand the heat, Get out of my way !!!
    MEMBER OF I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

My head hurts.

If 7-11 and White Hen and Circle-K stores are all open twenty-fours hours, why do they have locks on the doors?!?!?

Pfire, I am stunned and amazed, in return for your eloquent use of the english language, I submit for you your first lesson in speaking Irish.

This will help you speak to Mowtown. Repeat the following words:

Whale
    Oil
    Beef
    Hooked
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

I didn't "make" that explanation, it was on the Ask Jeeves site.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Default Stunnned.....

Ummm, my brain is full-can I go home now?
    Oklahoma Bound!

These are all the same just trying to get your brain going for example:

How do you throw away a trash can?

How come if you tell someone there are 3 billion stars in the universe they believe you but if you tell them there is wet paint somewhere they just have to touch it to believe it?

Here is a website that has many links on it. 2 or 3 of them have a lot more of these.

http://www.bored.com

Matt

Thread Information