District Chief

Post Levy County Florida--Dryer Fire Evacuates Jail

Gainesvillesun.com

Dryer fire forces jail evacuation in Levy

By KAREN VOYLES
    Sun staff writer

BRONSON - The lonely Maytag repair man seen on decades of television commercials may finally get a call to help a customer.

A dryer at the Levy County Jail burned up Friday night, causing the entire inmate population to be evacuated.

"I think we will be looking for a new dryer real soon," Sheriff's Office spokesman Lt. Chuck Bastak said.

The fire in the late 1980's model, gas-fueled, commercial dryer was discovered at about 8:30 p.m. Staff members evacuated inmates into the recreation yard, Bastak said. Smoke damage was contained to the laundry room, and the jail operations were back to normal within an hour.

"We have called the State Fire Marshal's office to come take a look and see if they can tell us what happened," Bastak said. "This went very well. No injuries. No incidents. No escape attempts."
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thumbs up The Quick Connector is the answer!!!

Go the website www.thequickconnector.com. This is a brand new metal fire resistant dryer vent connection that installs in only five minutes!!! Any type of vinyl hose (insulated or not) voids dryer warantees. Look on the paperwork or on the top of the dryers!!!! When you have lint buildup in these hoses and there is a spark from the heating element, it is ignited and starts the fire!!!! Noone is standing right there when the fire starts;therefore, it will cause damage and maybe loss of lives!!!

For only $29.95, plus shipping and handling, a one time 5 minute installation can save lives and save you money on your electric bill (the quick connector cuts your drying time in half). It is not on the market!!! Isn't your family, customers,co workers or pets worth it!!!

I should know-I bought one!!!!

Linda

Thread Information