District Chief

Post Plant City Fla--IAFF at odds with City over low pay

City Fire Firefighters have been doing battle with the Council of poor wages and are asking only for a 4% increase at this time but have so far been stonewalled.

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGAGWVUTG8D.html
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

TAMPA TRIBUNE

State Tells Union Contract Is Enforceable
    KARLAYNE R. PARKER kparker@tampatrib.com
    Published: Nov 16, 2002

OFFICIAL'S MOTION FOR MORE PAY DIES

PLANT CITY - Firefighters this week had public support to have the city commission revisit its union contract for higher wages, but it was Florida law that stood in the way.

By law, once the city commission voted on Oct. 28 to approve staff recommendations, the contract was enforceable, a state official said Thursday.

A week after the city vote, the 30-members of the International Firefighters Association local 2103 unanimously voted to oppose the contract.

With that vote, the law requires the city to enforce a one year contract, instead of the three year contract the commission approved in October, said Lee Cohee, a hearing officer with the Florida Public Employee Relations Commission in Tallahassee.

Under state law, union negotiator David Kinsey said firefighters are not permitted to strike.

The city commission vote came as a result of an impasse between the union and the city administration who for months discussed the contract. The firefighters opted not to use a state mediator.

City commissioners at Tuesday night's meeting heard residents and firefighters plead with them about reopening the contract to discuss a pay increase.

Firefighters came with more than 3,000 signatures of registered voters and the support of other area fire departments.

``Some decisions, once made, can't be reversed,'' resident Dave Bowden told the commission. ``Others can. These petitions deserve your thoughtful consideration.''

Bowden's comments came just minutes before the end of a two-hour meeting that more than 60 people attended.

City Commissioner Rich Glorioso motioned to reconsider giving the firefighters an additional 4 percent raise for the 2002-03 fiscal year.

Three times Mayor Michael Sparkman asked for a second and none came. The motion died for lack of a second.

Sparkman on Wednesday said he had been advised before the meeting by City Attorney Ken Buchman that the commission could not reopen the contract issue.

``The formal collective bargaining for the year was over,'' said City Commissioner John Dicks Wednesday. ``There is no other process at that point.''

Commissioners let stand a one-year firefighter contract that calls for firefighters to receive up to a 5 percent raise, including a 3 percent merit increase and a 2 percent cost-of-living raise. The increase is the same as what all other city employees will receive in the 2002-03 fiscal year.

Firefighters sought an additional 4 percent increase over the next three years.

David Jackson, union president, said a study by the union shows that the department's pay is as much as 15 percent below where it should be.

During contract negotiations, firefighters said they wanted to get the same raise given to the police department last year.

Although most city employees received up to a 5 percent pay increase, the police department was given an additional 4 percent last year.

Most commissioners said they wanted to see the results of next year's salary survey before addressing firefighters' pay.

The pay survey was the initiative of Commissioner Bill Dodson, who was elected this year.

However, Glorioso said he saw things differently.

``The petition that was presented with 3,000 signatures just can't be ignored,'' he said.

Earlier in the day, Plant City firefighters were joined by Lakeland, Tampa and Hillsborough County firefighters in a demonstration outside city hall.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information