Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default I Figured It Was Time To Move On To Something Beyond The Papal Discussion...

This was in today's online paper.... I found it interesting in the wake of recent events.

B.C. targets named on terror list. Ferries No. 8, Canada Place No. 16, as Manley tells Canadians no 'special precautions'

Fabian Dawson The Province; with Canadian Press Thursday, November 14, 2002 CREDIT: The Canadian Press
    <> <> <>
    A confidential list of 22 potential terrorist targets in Canada, including two in B.C., has been drawn up by the U.S. State Department, The Province has learned.

The list includes a warning that B.C. Ferries and the Canada Place complex that is home to cruise ships in the summer are potential targets during the tourist season.

Also listed are the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Toronto's CN Tower, the Chalk River, Ont., nuclear facility and the Syncrude tarsands production facility in Fort McMurray, Alta.

Mark Stefanson of B.C. Ferries said news that his corporation was on a target list was news to him. "We have heightened our security since 9/11 and are constantly working with the RCMP to be vigilant."

The list is to be discussed today in Ottawa when Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham meets Colin Powell, the U.S secretary of state.

The targets were studied and ranked prior to terror kingpin Osama bin Laden sending out a sinister warning to Western nations, specifically Canada, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Australia and Israel.

The warning this week was in part addressed to "peoples of the countries allied with the tyrannical U.S. government."

Responding to the bin Laden tape, Deputy Prime Minister John Manley said Ottawa takes the latest threat seriously, but Canadians don't need to take any "special precautions at the present time."

"There have been drills and practices and so on, so that increasingly I think our preparedness is becoming enhanced."

But one intelligence agent disagrees.

"[Manley] must be living in a time warp," the agent said.

Meanwhile, a "credible security threat" against a Canadian warship kept it out of a port in Thailand last week, Global National reported yesterday.

The HMCS Protecteur's commander kept the supply ship out of the port at Phuket after he got a "credible and compelling security threat" against its crew. There were a series of bombings in the port a few days later, military sources told Global.

The ship also didn't dock in Hong Kong as scheduled because of the security risk.

The ship, returning from nine months duty in the Arabian Gulf, is to return to Victoria Sunday, one week ahead of schedule.

Yesterday, Graham said that "it [warning tape] was a wake-up call to the danger and I was taking it very seriously."

Canadian Alliance foreign affairs critic Stockwell Day called on Graham to reassure Powell that Canada will toughen its stance on terrorism. Graham noted that $7.5 billion has been spent on terrorism-related measures since the Sept. 11 attacks.

He said Canada needs to focus on helping smaller nations that lack the resources to develop security infrastructure.

Prime Minister Jean Chretien's silence drew a rebuke from Canadian Alliance Leader Stephen Harper, who said Chretien should be "standing on guard for the country, not standing on a golf tee."

Andrew McGregor of Aberfoyle International Security Analysis said the government should have reacted sooner.

"They have to start taking security concerns seriously in this country. . . . Just playing along saying, 'Well, let's wait and see what the Americans do' seems a pretty poor way to defend the country."

CANADIAN TARGETS

This U.S. list obtained by The Province ranked the Canadian targets and their most vulnerable times:

1. CN Tower, Toronto (late night, early morning).

2. Transit: Subway, Toronto (rush hour).

3. Nuclear/intelligence facilities: Chalk River, Ont., (NDT: no definite time).

4. Place Ville Marie, Montreal (office hours).

5. Air Canada Centre,Toronto (major entertainment event).

6. Peace Bridge, near Niagara Falls, Ont (NDT).

7. Canadian National Exhibition: Toronto (Mid-August to September).

8. B.C. ferry system: Tsawwassen (tourist season).

9. Canadian Forces Base Greenwood: Greenwood, N.S., (NDT).

10. Secondary Parliament buildings: Ottawa (political sittings).

11. Syncrude tarsands plant: Fort McMurray, Alta., (NDT).

12. Royal Ontario Museum: Toronto (public hours).

13. Confederation Bridge: P.E.I./N.B. (tourist season).

14. Calgary Stampede Park (Stampede in July).

15. Nuclear facility: Point Lepreau, N.B (NDT).

16. Canada Place: Vancouver (summer).

17. Toronto Island ferry: (summer).

18. Temple Emanuel: Montreal (religious holiday services).

19. Beth Shalom Temple: Toronto (religious holiday services).

20. Temple Sinai: Toronto (religious holiday services).

21. Beth Israel HSBA Synagogue: Winnipeg (religious holiday services).

22. Nuclear facility: Pickering, Ont. (NDT).

fdawson@pacpress.southam.ca

© Copyright 2002 The Province

There are a couple pictures too... they will follow this text.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Not everyone gets to be a world traveller... so here is the second of 3 photos....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

And the last one... I submit these photos for the simple idea of knowing what the article refers to. Also, at least on a local point of view, knocking out the BC Ferry system would actually be quite devastating to us Islanders. We import pretty much everything we use, via the ferry service. Actually as a matter of note, even to take out a section of the Trans Canada Highway that runs the entire length of the Island would be bad enough.

Don't think I'd worry about it too terribly much, after all, it's much colder there than in NY. Wouldn't do to have the terrorists freezing to death before they completed their mission. Besides, they can blend into Houston's estimated 300,000 middle eastern descent population and never be found.

Like we need that. We NEED to just pre-empt these guys, and QUICK, before they get any more ideas that they are allowed to live.

Peace
    Oklahoma Bound!

300,000 is that all? I can see Canada Place from my apt (about a mile straight across the water) Vancouver DEFINITELY has more people of middle eastern decent then Houston.

In fact the majority of Surrey (it's actually another city, but population has spread enough to make it like a burb) has to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 85% middle eastern.

Canada Place is busy any time of year, it's our trade and convention center, but in the summer you can't drive around the front of the building because there are too many people, they literally line the street. Cruise ships dock right next to it, and the seabus terminal (little commuter ferry), which attaches to the skytrain (subway) is less then a block away.

There are other places that I would have thought would have been on the list that aren't in Vancouver.

27 I wonder why only one of the terminals is on the list. Horsebay has ferrys that go to other places besides Vancouver Is.

Tempie that crossed my mind too, about only "specifing" the Island ferry run, however that may only be an assumption on whoever wrote the intial report too. As with most things, the ferry service capabilities are mostly "local knowledge". Everyone knows that it runs between Vancouver and the Island, but a lot of people don't realize that there is a greater network of smaller islands in between that part of the total service provided.

And your comments about Canada Place are extremely valid. In addition to the cruise ships that pull in during the summer months, the navy uses that facility almost every time a warship goes into Vancouver because of its inheirent security capabilities as well as its general location to downtown. (Like the #5 Orange and the Drake.. just to name a few. not that I have ever been in either establishment - "Ya right" she says)

Regarding the "diverse ethnic nature" of the Greater Vancouver Region.... well 'nuff said there.

Unhappy

Wonderful, I have family in Toronto!
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Forum Member

While we don't need to have terrorists start listing potential targets, I say the following with a big wide grin.

BC Ferries a target. OK, lets put those Fast Cat's out in the bay and insure them to the hilt. When it get's destroyed, collect insurance to upgrade the fleet.

BC Place, well it just took a lickin', but honestly do they dislike the CANUCKS that much?

On the level, it is a scary time we live in and as we have seen all threats must be perceived as legit.

However we won't let those Damn terrorists get the better of us, so while keeping our eyes open enjoy our freedom.

As for those SOB's who made the threats......We will remember forever!!!!!!

Thread Information