IACOJ Agitator

Default Handgun Trumps Crowbar In Attempted Robbery

Handgun Trumps Crowbar In Attempted Robbery
    Station Owner Spots Suspect

POSTED: 9:38 a.m. EST November 14, 2002

TORRINGTON, Conn. -- A handgun trumped a crowbar in an attempted robbery of a Torrington gas station Wednesday.

James Borla, owner of Borla's Service Station, said he saw Erick Valsecchi on a video camera walking into the station as Borla was at work in his back office. He said he saw Valsecchi wielding a crowbar.

The 22-year-old Valsecchi allegedly demanded cash from the attendant.

Borla grabbed his .44-caliber shotgun, came up behind Valsecchi and ordered him to drop the crowbar and lie on the ground. Valsecchi complied and was soon arrested.

He was charged with first-degree robbery and held on a $75,000 bond.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Sr. Information Officer

Talking

Go ahead...... MAKE MY DAY!

OR

Well.....do ya feel lucky punk? Well, do ya?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

But what caliber was the crowbar?
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

MembersZone Subscriber

Guns....you don't need one very often, but when you need one, you need one REAL BAD!
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Further reinforces one of my rules to live by:

NEVER BRING A KNIFE (or crowbar, apparently) TO A GUN FIGHT!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Hey Tempie, you're not doing "Self-Defence" instruction on the side are you? This kinds sounds like a story from your "neck-o-the-woods". (thought I had forgotten didn't ya?)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Hehehe... You know I thought maybe someone tried the same thing I did only they got seriously damaged when I read the title.

No not teaching self defense techniques. If I'd had a crowbar the guy would probably be dead.

I'm sure there are going to be some confused people on here now, wondering about what we are talking about. Suffices to say that similar thing happened, everyone is still breathing, robbers are in jail.

Forum Member

Sounds like an updated version of "stone, paper, scissors" . Much more deadly for the particpants though...
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey speaking of Rock - Paper - Scissors, apparently there is (or was this weekend) a tournament in Toronto. I heard it on yesterdays radio news, but I missed part of the report, so I don't know if it was supposed to be this weekend or if it is scheduled for later in the month. But I did get confirmation that it was a R-P-S tournament and that it would be in Toronto.

I am wondering who had the time to organize this and then who has the time to participate in the "local tourny" and the go to "regionals" and then the "nationals"????? Do these people get special sponsorship? I know what my reaction would be if someone came knocking on my door looking for sponsorship.... it would probably require the use of O2 to get me to breath again from laughing so hard.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

James Borla, owner of Borla's Service Station, said he saw Erick Valsecchi on a video camera walking into the station as Borla was at work in his back office. He said he saw Valsecchi wielding a crowbar.

What we need are more crowbar control laws.... (sarcasm intended! )

Borla grabbed his .44-caliber shotgun, came up behind Valsecchi and ordered him to drop the crowbar and lie on the ground. Valsecchi complied and was soon arrested.

Another one for the good guys...of course, the bleeding hearts will fault Jim Borla for using the shotgun to prevent the crime and possible the injury and death to his employee (after all all he did was use his 2nd amendment rights to preserve his rights, and Lord knows how much they hate that!) and then allow the scumbag to sue Borla for psychological damages....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt G, on a "social note" you are probably right, that the anti-violence types will get all up in arms about the use of a gun to prevent a robbery.

However in the scale of "use of force", Mr Borla met a "perceived threat" (ie the crowbar) with a show of force one level higher. Ok, some could say that by escalating the force levels, could potentially make things go worse, and there is always that possibility. More often than not though, an increase in the force level will defuse a situation, unless of course the perpetrators are willing to go that extra level and beyond.

From the experience of Naval Boarding procedures, and person/vehicle searches training from the army, it is mostly a rare event when a person or persons are willing to go that far. Of course the use of "deadly force" is the final level, and all reasonable attempts to refrain from the use of it should be taken. As Mr Prudent Man what he thinks on the application of force levels.

As was quoted earlier, by Iceman (paraphrasing Sean Connery)
    NEVER BRING A KNIFE (or crowbar, apparently) TO A GUN FIGHT!
    about sums it up.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 11-17-2002 at 03:37 PM.

Default .44 caliber shotgun??

Don't believe I have ever seen a .44 cal shotgun. Does anybody have a picture of it? I'd sure like to see it!
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

IACOJ Agitator

Anyone else think that they'll eventually see the video tape on "America's Dumbest Criminals"?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Thread Information