Default 1995 Pierce Dash Arrow Engine

HELLO OUT THERE. I HAVE A QUESTION THAT I HOPE SOMEBODY CAN ANSWER. OUR ENGINE IS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH ITS GEAR BOX MOTOR. IT WILL NOT ALWAYS SWITCH INTO PUMP RIGHT AWAY. THE COMPANY STATES THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM BUT THAT THERE IS NOTHING THAT THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT. THEY STATE THAT THE NEWER MOTORS ARE NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH TO PUT THE TRUCK INTO PUMP. SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANY OTHER DEPARTMENT OUT THERE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO CORRECT IT. ALSO IF YOU KNOW OF ANOTHER DEPARTMENT THAT HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM PLEASE RELLAY WHAT THEY HAVE DONE OR A WAY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS.

HURRICANE TULLY

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Lightbulb

Last I knew, the Dash and Arrow were two different chassis.We have a 1981 Arrow (the first in Michigan) and have had no problems with the Detroit 6V92 TA engine. It shifts fine. I would jump hard on the dealer if you are having problems.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

89 and 95 Dash pumpers here 0 problems with either one
    I won't be wronged,I won't be insulted,
    and I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people
    and I require the same from them.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Dept. has a 1984 Arrow and 1990 Lance no problems switching from road to pump.

Forum Member

Volunteer department has a 1991 Dash, no problems.
    Paid job has a 1989 Dash, no problems, and 2 1998 Dash's with no problems. Sorry Bro...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Try moving the pump switch back to "road". Then shift the tranny into reverse, then drive, and back to neutral. Try to shift into pump again. Sometimes you have a "torque load" on the drive train that prevents the pump gearcase from completing the shift. Shifting the tranny releases the torque load. You might also inspect the entire drive train for damaged or loose mounting brackets.

Possibility number two is that it is not being used often enough. If the truck sits for weeks or months without the pump being engaged, the shift components can become "sticky" resulting in the shifting problem. If the problem clears up after the pump has been run through the engage/disengage cycle several times, you are probably not exercising the shift mechanism enough,

Good Luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a similar problem with one of our reserve engines a pierce dash. It would stall out when shifting electronicly. The only way to get it to pump was to do it manually. We had some stripped gears and had to replace the shaft and pump tranny. works now so aparently we did something right.

Thread Information