Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Firefighters kill kittens...

I can not believe Firefighters would do this.
    This is really twisted, sick and sad. I hope
    these clowns get the maximum sentence and
    share a cell with "Bubba". And I hope Bubba
    gets some pay back. And these f-ers need to
    be fined and employment terminated.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...9&sectionId=46
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-15-2002 at 09:45 PM.

Angry

I thought we were here to save lives...even those not human. Disgust is the only word that can describe the actions of these guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was appaled and utterly disgusted upon reading this story. I want to know why they were only suspended from the VFD. They should have been kicked right off and the paid guy should get fired. It's not like these were young kids either, they were adults.
    When Life Is On The Line. We Are Never Off Duty.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

With any luck, "Bubba" wil be a cat lover too.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

I hope Bubba is BIG!!!!

In all aspects....
    Luke

They went from "What do I want to ride, engine or ladder" to "What do I want to be, mommy or daddy?"

Hope they suffer cause of their atrosious behaviour...

This is absolutely disgusting. So much for all firefighters being heros...these jerks are ZEROS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry bad rep

It's disappointing, disgusting, and just pain dumb. What are these people thinking?? It gives a bad reputation for firefighters as a whole and for upstate firefighters. What happened to trying to set an example??
    -Egg

Default Just playing the Devils Advocate

If these were rats they killed, would people be reacting differently?

Could these animals have been considered rodents or pests if they were in the firehouse trash cans?

If you had a rat in your rat trap, and it was still alive, how would you finish it? (I use a hammer)

Or would you leave it to suffer in the trap? Afterall it is just a dirty rat.

Have you ever killed a spider just because it was there?

Look deep inside yourself, if a cat has rights, so does any other living creature.

The story does not give enough details to make any conclusions of guilt. Be the americans you claim to be and wait until a jury decides their fate before you condemn them.

fg
    See You At The Big One

I personally wouldn't kill anything unless it was trying to kill me. These kittens were incapable of hurting anyone. There are places to take domesticated animals where they will have a chance of being adopted. Smashing their brains out with a hammer was pure barbaric ignorance. If people would nueter or spay their pets, we wouldn't have this problem in the first place.

Umm..firemangeorge....rats are...well...RATS!!!!!!! They make rat poison and rat traps because rats are vermin. When have you see "kitten traps" or "kitten poison" at Wal-Mart??? Kittens are not vermin.

If a person were to use unconventional methods of killing rats, I'm sure they'd be charged too.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default These two have serious psychological issues!

As I read this story, my 7 month old Siamese was sitting quietly on my monitor. I read and I looked at him wondering how anyone could kill such a sweet, little animal and in a fashion that was described. You see pictures all the time of firefighters administering O2 to pets and even doing CPR on some. It makes you proud.
    But this atrocious, barbaric act is sickening and at the same time puzzling.
    firemangeorge; you're reading too much into it. You're trying to give their actions the benefit of doubt. Take it for what it is; a heinous crime against a species that could not defend itself from blow after sickening blow of a hammer. These two first need a good attorney and then some serious counselling.
    Chalk up yet another black eye for the fire service.
    I am an animal lover. Though I don't believe that they should have the right to vote, I believe that they have a right to life.
    IMACOJ-have your pets spayed and neutered.

Default Re: These two have serious psychological issues!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    These two first need a good attorney and
    then some serious counselling.
    Sorry Bro, more like a solid *** kicking and I want to
    be the first in line. I just think this incident is
    horrible. I am not some PETA person, but to do this
    with a hammer?!?! Makes me sick...

Stayback, you made my point for me. You differentiate based on appearance. I believe that could be called specie-ism? Ever seen a cat take apart a rat? It ain't pretty. Rats on the other hand are not natural killers, they are harmeless scavengers who got a bad rap for spreading disease by doing what they do, cleaning up.
    As I said at the opening of my post, Just Playing Devils Advocate.
    You stepped squarely into my trap.
    By the way, slaughter houses routinely used sledge hammers to kill cows because it is cheaper than shooting them. My grandmother drowned rabbits in a bucket of water when she was preparing them for dinner and cutting the head from a chicken or turkey is still an acceptable way to kill this particular entree.
    Pot belly pigs are better, smarter pets than cats, but since they don't purr, pigs will probably never enjoy the protected status that the carnivorous kitten has achieved.
    I love all living creatures, but i gotta eat too. So I look at them and wonder how they will taste.
    You either love them all or you are a hypocrite.

Buck season is just around the corner....
    See You At The Big One

MembersZone Subscriber

Problem here is George, I do not think these two mutts were preparing to bread and bake the kittens. If you kill it to eat it or prevent the spread of diesease that is one thing, but to kill a animal just to watch its pain is a crime. I hope they are punished and booted from their Department.

PS. Anyone ever read about how serial killer general start by killing animals?
    B Holmes

Is firemangeorge the only one with any sense? I'll bet none of you have ever lived anywhere "Rural" or you would most likely consider cats rodents. I don't know where Chenango Bridge is, but it doesn't sound like it's in the middle of metropolis. I'll bet there isn't any place local to take unwanted pets either. And if there is, and its as rural as I think, everyone already has a cat or a cat problem and doesn't want to pay the neuter or spaying costs as well as all the related cost for vaccinations and so forth just to rescue a cat they don't want. So, if the pets are not adopted, (the most likely scenario) the cheapest and preferred method of "euthanasia" is most likely a .22 caliber pistol to the back of their heads administered by a young veterinarian. And of course, the related costs are charged back to the person who dropped off the kittens. Are you going to pay his bill every time?

Would it have been more responsible of them to just let the kittens go to fend for themselves so they could reproduce in the wild and compound the overpopulation pet problem?

How many of you have run over a cat in your car? How many have swerved to avoid one and wrecked your car? If you've been driving for any length of time in my area, you've run one over.

Let me close with this. I love cats. I have a cat and a dog. (I know for a fact that firemangeorge has a cat too) My wife is a veterinary technician and the two of us have spent countless hours saving unwanted pets, but where we live it is possible to save them because there are a large number of people who want to adopt them.

Do not judge these two till you know all the facts.

A blow to the head, or compressing the chest cavity to cause suffocation is a humane way to end a kittenís life.

I can think of many, truly horrible ways to kill something. Turn on the news tonight and watch how we treat human beings...
    Last edited by Lt3389; 11-19-2002 at 11:16 AM.
    Lt3389

If Prometheus deserved the wrath of the Gods for setting the first fires on earth, then what should be the reward to those who make it their profession to put them out?

Angry This is not the first time

When I was only a second year firefighter, I and my partner watched in horror as our Captain and Senior Engineer proceeded to torcher our little baby kitten we had only a couple of weeks earlier adopted around the firhouse.

While holding down the kitten the Captain would whip the kitten with a large branch while the Engineer held down the front and back legs. Well, the kitten in self defense got a paw lose and swiped at one of them and that infurated them, they proceeded to jump on the litten with thier duty boots until it was lifeless.

They put the kitten in a trash bag and tossed it into a nearby stream, to thier horror, the bag landed on a rock in the stream and did not get washed away. The Captain then waited out to the bag where he picked it up and repeatedly pounced to bag with the kitty in it on the rock until the carcass was totally pulverised.

Well, we could not take letting them get away with that so we turned them in and they lost their jobs over it. Or at least I know the Captain had to take a retirement offer and I am unsure what became of the Engineer.

Pretty sad when people hurt little creatures I think.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

Smile Steppin out in that Limb...

Well I reckon I am going to have to step out on a limb and disagree with most all of you. All of the facts were not mentioned about this article, everything was not clear. Either way these are still firefighters, and still part of the brotherhood. They are INNOCENT until proven GUILTY, and not Guilty until Innocent. We should no be picking apart their every move until we know what their every move was. Ladies and Gentlemen, that was my two cents worth...and there will be no charge for that!
    UTFFEMT- that situation definitely sounds like they needed to lose their job!!
    -Kris

MembersZone Subscriber

While I will agree that we do not get all the facts from that article, some facts are very clear.
    1. There is a animal rescue org. 3 miles away.
    2. The president of the recue group said they would "gladly" taken the kittens
    3. The district attorney who does have all the facts chose to charge them with felonies.

Even if they were being "kind?" and killing them to prevent over population.
    1.The firehouse was not the place to do it.
    2.It was not for them to decide (Unless we find later that they work for the animal control unit of the town)
    3.Smashing a kitten heads in with a hammer can in no way ever be considered humane or a good way to stop over population.

If any of you disagree with that last one, do a little research and come out of the sticks. Any and every reputable animal expert will tell you that a hammer to the head in not a fast painless death. And that is assuming they hit it square in the head with one blow(ever miss the nail and hit your thumb?).
    I do agree that they are innocent untill proven guilty, but untill they come up with some fesible reason that this happened and why it happened at a firehouse, they have no business having the privledge of being a fireman.
    B Holmes

Question

WHY????? I don't understand the mentality behind these hanice acts. UTFFEMT and his experence and what happend with the new story why someone would do this I don't know, just blows my mind.

Thread Information