MembersZone Subscriber

Default You Make the Call-Minivan Rollover

A Posting from Forum Moderator Ron Moore

Photo Credit to Firefighter Christi Champagne of Essex Jct. Vermont Fire Department.

What would you do?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

FF/EMT

Without the benefit of a 360 view or knowing exactly how many and where are the victims, I think that after hazard control and stabilization, my first attempt at access would be throught he rear doors. If I am looking at this vehicle correctly it looks like a Chevy AstroVan. These generally have split rear doors which should be fairly easy to overcome and the rear seats could be removed using their normal release mechanism as you work towards the front of the van.

After assessing victim location and condition, I could either go back out the way I came or work the passenger side from up top and do a lift of the victim up and out with a high anchor point (aerial).

About moving the big truck, it looks like it is actually stabilizing the van, and I am not sure that moving the truck would be a good move, other than to provide more accessibility (is it really needed?).

1. Stabilization: Insert cribbing between road and van. Restrain van from forward or rearward movement. If you have Res-Q-Jack JACK struts, Hi-lifts, or long rams, apply one or two at the roof side of the van. Raise the jack to remove weight of van from guardrail. To keep van from rolling too far place pickets in grassy area and run winch or similar to keep vehicle in contact with jack stand. Run a restraint line from same pickets to lower side of van to keep van from sliding toward road.

2. Initial patient access through rear door as stated previously. Remove any rear compartment patients.

3. Extrication assumming driver entrapment: With vehicle stabilized as described above I would cut guardrail with recip. saw in front of van and behind van. Also saw guardrail uprights flush with ground. Remove rail and uprights. Make access through roof to disentangle if necessary. Billy, is this where you would apply the "clamshell" manuever you've talked about? Can also make access through passenger side. Note: may not need to remove entire section of rail beneath van - just section below front passenger compartment and leave rear section to assist in stabilization.

Not mentioned above: hazard check, charged hoseline, disconnect power... Also If truck were removed, the above setup could be used to controllably roll van to rest on its side if necessary.

Good scenario to practice !

www.res-q-jack.com
    Last edited by RESQJACK1; 11-17-2002 at 11:18 PM.

I'd stabilize with some cribbing in the voids between the van and the ground and then possibly cinch the van to the guardrail with a ratchet strap.
    I'm seeing a passenger side T-bone impact with the roof of the van wrapped around the guardrail. You at least have a driver in the vehicle which is on the side not scene from the photo.
    My plan A would be the to work the driver's side removing the front door and if necessary the B post and rear door (they may not even be damaged). I'd plan on cutting the seatback and steering wheel as well.

FIGJAM

I'm going to be a little bit different for this one...

We're going to isolate the battery on the truck. We're then going to chock and block it to stop all movement.

Using the front of the truck as a brace (Becasue the front of the van appears to be resting against it...), I'm gonna use a winch or tow truck to pull the vehicle back onto its side.

We're then going to access the interior either via either the rear doors or remove the roof...
    Luke

hhmmmmmm how about after cribbing front and rear or anchoring area of van that is in contact with the road with straps to the gaurd rail posts or other anchor, then what about cutting the A, B, C, posts and flapping the roof downwards and that would open up the whole passenger compartment and give access frt to back through the side of the van...? just another thought....
    Some days yer the fire hydrant and some days yer the dog.

MembersZone Subscriber

Make the big truck stable, the van stable, and then work to the passengers. I would leave the big truck and the guardrail in place. Moving either of these would increase the risk to the entrapped and they appear to be helping stabilize things as they are. Use plenty of cribbing to keep it from tipping/crushing further. For any occupants, the rear doors should be opened. The passenger side extrication I would choose to open the side of the van with 'cip saws and make a big opening on the passenger side. This would help with ems entering and also removing the patients. For rear passengers through the rear doors and also the passenger side. Remove seat backs as needed.

For the driver, stabilise the patient from underneath. If enough room is not available to extricate by removing the seat back and out through the rear door, I would begin cutting the seat out through the floor pan on the driver's side (and I'm not very proficient in this maneuver - not a lot of practice).

Anyone seen any training stuff on removing the floor pan? Does it work as well in practice as in the plan?

Thread Information