View Poll Results: How do you feel about the subscription memberszone?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it

10 58.82%
  • Don't really care

2 11.76%
  • Don't like it

1 5.88%
  • It really sucks

4 23.53%

Angry Paid MembersZone SUCKS

Thanks to Firehouse for trying to shove more of our hard earned cash down your deep pockets.

You get us to buy a subscription to the magazine. Then take a jab at us wanting another subscription to the MembersZone.

I know it costs money to provide this to us, but after I read my bought and paid for magazine, I bring them into work for others to read and learn, but I certainly don't charge a fee.

And that's what I feel is going on here.

Some of us routinely use firehouse.com provided stuff for our training presentations.

I guess I'll have to look elsewhere from now on.

Did I mention this sucks!!!!!!
    (I'm not a member of the MembersZone, sorry if anyone thought I was)
    Last edited by RFDDozen; 11-17-2002 at 11:59 PM.

Administrator

Default Nice.

First, the person who posted this is not a MEMBER of the MembersZone so isn't posting with information thats accurate.

Second, this is a totally separate service from Firehouse Magazine, and offers many, many unique features that just wouldn't otherwise be available. This has nothing to do with a magazine subscriptoin as the content and services are 99% completely different. We'd much rather find a means to offer them, then not offer them at all. Advertising only goes so far.

Thirdly, all of the content and services are NEW, we're not taking away anything.

Finally, while we welcome criticism and respond fairly to everyone, posting a message like this is just inappropriate.

Thanks
    WebTeam

P.S. There are no deep pockets at Firehouse.com. We are not unlike man .coms, who struggle to survive and find new sources of revenue to not only survive, but grow our content and services.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I'll have to look somewhere else from now on.
    Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks for your opinion!

Well, everyone has their right to their own opinion even if we don't agree with it.

Now here's my opinion. I think this Members Zone is great and well worth the $17 something a year that I am paying. As long as it stays around the same price and doesn't get over $20 a year I will continue to subscribe. I checked out the new E-mail service today and all I can say is EXCELLENT!!! I was very pleased to see such a clean layout and the option for POP-3 mail. Firehouse.com gets a 10 for that feature. The big feature that I am waiting for is Personal Start Pages. I hope I am not disappointed. Daily pager news, Magazine Archives, localized forums, ect, etc, etc. How can anyone say that it's not worth the cost???

Now to bust some chops. Did anyone notice the sneak move that Firehouse.com pulled today. The Launch Schedule that showed the services that were to be launched between (Nov 6 - 19) now shows (Nov 6 - 22). Wait a minute, how did that 19 turn into a 22????

Caught you guys!
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Administrator

A few days here and there won't hurt hopefully

Thats why everyone's first year subscriptions go through December 2003....just to ensure everyone gets a FULL year of all the features.

Personalized start pages and some new sections launch very soon ... with more right around the corner.

The MembersZone is a massive undertaking for our relatively small staff (which hopefully will be able to grow along with subscribers).

Also, at the same time, we're combining the US Fire Department web directories of Firehouse.com and the Fire-EMS.net, tying them to the departments in our system, verifying all links, and launching them in one of the later phases as part of our state by state news and resources pages as the web's most complete directory of emergency services.

Thanks for everyone's support!

WebTeam

P.S.. VERY observant indeed Chris

Maybe I should simply shut my big fat mouth.....
    Cough up the seventeen dollars and be done with it!

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to admit when the idea first came out I was totally against it. I had posted to the effect that I clicked on sponsors and purchased items over the years that were very expensive.I finally gave in and joined and I'm very pleased. I still respect those who can not afford to pay the subscriber's fee or won't for other reasons. The content on the membership zone is worth the money to me as well as access to the magazine archives since I don't get the magazine anymore. I use the area for drills while on duty and the new email service is great.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post A Couple of things.............

I signed up sometime back, and I thought the fee was $17.95 but I was billed for $24.95?? AND, PLEASE Stop changing the menu bar on the home page. It was ok up until thanksgiving,please change it back....I am not going to offer any other opinions until this thing is completed and up for a while....Thanks (killerB said it on another site....."A work in progress...")
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Administrator

If you pre-registered you would've been billed $14.95, $17.50 or $23.95 depending when you registered and what the price was listed at the time.

No one was charged $24.95.

As for the menubar, we will be trying a few things with that. There are many, many more sections to add as we grow the site and the new menu with the drop downs (we'll also be trying a more traditional version of drop downs) ensures we can fit navigation to everything at the top.

If you haven't tried it, if you mouseover one of the main sections at the top (in the dark bar) it will bring up the sub-sections and features in the red bar underneath.

It is a work in progress and will be through the end of the year as we continue to add many many new sections and features to the site for both free and paid users.

WebTeam

FIGJAM

Maybe I should simply shut my big fat mouth.....
    Cough up the seventeen dollars and be done with it!
    Now that's words of wisdom for you....

I for one, am very happy with the "Zone"- it's been worth the cost thus far, with heaps more to come....
    Luke

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must say, about the only thing that I am unhappy with Firehouse.com is the amount of ads... but you know what, they are firefighting ads and I can actually use them. So I can very easily live with them. At least it isn't for the X10 camera!

Keep up the good work guys!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Default OK......

I Goofed! it was $23.95. (I thought it should have been $17.50) And, as I huntinpeck this message, the current Menu bar arrangement is vastly better than the one at this time yesterday. "A work in progress" Thanks and Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 12-01-2002 at 06:20 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Administrator

Thanks.

The new drop down menus (which are optimized for 98% of our users) should be the top navigation for some time. It allows us to add new sections, etc. very easily from a single file.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Thread Information