Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MembersZone Subscriber

Capt1GVFD,

10 assistant chiefs! What do these guys (or gals) do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Do all 10 Asst. Chiefs get cars?
    B Holmes

You have to realize that we have 6 companies in the Department. It's all volunteer. All told we have 5 Class 1 Engines, 1 Truck, 3 Rescues - one of them a heavy rescue, an air truck, a ppv/foam truck, A salvage truck, a water salvage truck, 3 utility trucks, a band truck, a dive truck - and dive team of course, a blood hound team for SAR, a rope team, and equipment cache's for a rope team, special operations teams, trench rescue teams, etc., etc. I'm sure I missed a few.

On the operations side the company captains are responsible for their respective companies and equipment. The Assistant chiefs are responsible for coordinating all department activities, etc. That's a big task for a volunteer department, so the tasks are spread out over enough people.

The Asst chiefs get red lights and sirens, I don't really know who buys those, but the city does not purchase them a vehicle. Only the chief gets a city vehicle. A suburban.

The system works well for us. We usually get a rapid sizeup from someone who has a radio and are able to either cancel unneeded units quickly, or assign them tasks.
    If you can keep your head about you, while those around you are losing theirs, then you will be a man my son.

Rudyard Kipling.

16 member all volunteer rural fire department
    1 Chief
    1 Assistant chief
    2 Captains
    2 Lieutenants
    Thats about a 1 to 2.2 span of control. Officers are elected every year.

We have an all volunteer department of about 30 members. We have 5 officers:
    1 Chief
    1 Asst. Chief
    1 Capt.
    2 Lt.

All of these positions are layed out in our dept. by-laws. The Chief and Asst. Chief have fire ground and administrative duties. Other duties are divided amoung the other officers. App. maintance(Capt.), Station maintance(1st Lt.), PPE/Radios and pagers(2nd Lt.). We have a total of 10 position reserved for officers. Our dept. hasn't felt the need to expand these position any further to this point, but we always have room to do so.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

By laws state we shall have 40 members, but only have 30 right now protecting a community of 7,000, riverfront, and outlying areas.

1 chief
    1 asst. chief
    1st captain
    2nd captain
    1st Lt.
    2nd Lt.
    3rd Lt.
    3 trustee's
    President
    Treasurer
    Secretary

MembersZone Subscriber

Default when do you have enough officers

I come from a small volunteer department. One of my greatest reservations is not how many officers, but what are the qualification and training requirements for these positions? We have a good old boy system of giving the ones with the least amount of formal training and education the positions with the greatest amount of responsibilities. I would give anything for one educated and experienced captain than the one that won the popularity contest.

Default OIC

We have a chief, 2 AC's, 1 Captain, 2 Lt's.
    we have 3 crews. 1 Line officer per crew then they also
    handlethe different bureau..Training,Maint., Arson/Fire
    Prevention, 1 AC takes care HAZMAT, the other Safety.
    Ours are out of necessity.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

we currently run 5 stations and have around 100 members we have 1 chief, 2 district chiefs,1 safety officer, 1 training officer,9 captains,10 lt.'s i think its more than enough officers for the amount of members we have.

You know you have too many officers when they out number the amount of firefighters!

My hometown dept(combination with 5 stations):
    Fire Chief (Paid)
    Deputy Chief (Paid
    Fire Marshal (Paid)
    Fire Prevention Officer (Paid)
    Fire & EMS Officers (Paid)
    4 District Chiefs (Volunteer)
    4 Assistant Chiefs (Volunteer)
    14 Captains (6 of them paid)
    7 Lieutenants (Volunteer)

The span of control for any supervisor is 5-7 people I think. You could base the number of needed officers from that.
    "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Number of Ruperts!!

Just for statistical purposes, our POC department comprises of..

- Senior Officers
    1 Chief
    2 Asst. Chiefs (One assigned to each station)
    4 Captains (2 to each station)

- Line Officers -

4 Lieutenants (originally Lt.s were assigned to be in charge of vehicle maint etc.)
    2 Safety officers (hold rank of Firefighter, rarely seen in SO mode except for the occasional shout of 'Do up your chinstrap')

30 Firefighters

To be honest, I doubt many Firefighters in our department know who the Lt.s are, they have same color helmets etc.. only on days where we would wear dress uniform would there be a possible chance of spotting a 'Rupert'.

Our by-laws specify the number of senior officers, the line officers are decided by what the Chief feels is necessary.

Personally speaking, I believe a combination of the span of control principle and the chain of command is best.. 4 - 6 Firefighters answer to a liuetenant.. 2 - 4 Lt.'s to a Captain etc. all the way to the top. Hopefully this eliminates the need for Senior officers on scene to personally tutor forcible entry techniques, then they can spend their time viewing the big picture (hopefully benefitting us all).

Just my two pennies.

Thread Information