Thread: FMC Pumper

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool FMC Pumper

Our department is looking at a used Kenworth/FMC Pumper. Have not been able to find out much about the FMC brand. Can some point me to some information. Does anyone have an opinion on FMC?
    Thanks for any information.
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Hardin Fire Prot District

Permanently Removed

Unhappy What I know....

I have not heard too many good things about FMC trucks.
    Also, FYI- "FMC" stands for "food manufacturing
    company". Honestly, I saw it on the door.

No joke!!!
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 11-18-2002 at 08:57 PM.

Forum Member

We've got one. All in all, it's been a good truck, but getting it's getting harder and harder to find parts for the pump. To my knowledge, they haven't made fire service pumps or parts for some time now.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member

FMC has not supported parts for several years. They did provide parts for ten years after they ceased manufacturing fire apparatus.

We have an 1981 FMC/GMC reserve unit. When it was purchased new it was one of the cheapest available.

The good news is that most parts used on the pump are not FMC specific. Ours has a Hale relief valve. We did a total rebuild of the pump about four years ago. The impeller shaft, impellers and all other internal parts were available from other manufacturers. The pump gearcase did have one unique gear that was OK or it would have to been custom made. Total cost around $9000.00.

If the rig is in good shape and has maintenance records along with current pump certification, it would probably serve you for a number of years.

On the other hand you can probably find a used engine in good condition with a Hale, Waterous, or Darley pump for about the same price. Parts would be more readily available for them and you would have factory support.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Paid job has 2 custom FMC's for reserve rigs. I'd tell you all the problems with it, if it were here, but guess what! It is in the shops, AGAIN! THIS time it is getting one of serveral oil leaks repaired. The pump leaks, the body is rusty, not just in one spot either. It would be easier to cover the spots that aren't rusting then it would be to cover the rusty spots.
    County I live in has 3 FMC/GMC engines, 1985's. They are not that bad I guess but I don't have first hand knowledge of the service or problems. One was replaced as a front line unit in 1996, the other two are being replaced in 2005.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the replies. The unit has been well maintained and shows a lot of care. It has everything on it we are looking for. Runs and drives great and pumps fine. Will be keeping it for many years if that is the decision.
    Any further information on FMC pumpers greatly appreciated.
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Hardin Fire Prot District
    Malcolm Cunningham
    Fire Chief - Hardin FPD
    Hardin, MO

Forum Member

We run an '86 GMC-FMC. Pump wiped out (purportedly from abuse, however) before we bought it. The tank rusted and began leaking badly, so we replaced it, but rusty steel tanks are not unique to FMC. It has very little body rust; there is more on the truck than on the body.

If the pump is doing well and it's pumping clean, rust-less water, it's probably fine. There are two other FMC's here in the county that are still pretty solid and essentially rust-free. The pumps are doing well to the best of my knowledge.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

We run an 89 Ford F800 FMC pumper, and with the exception of swapping the leaky steel tank with a poly one, we have had NO problems with it. It's not food machinery corp, it Farm Machinery Corp, and they are known for making high quality farm machinery.
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Forum Member

From the company's web site, www.fmc.com
    -------
    1928 Stock for the newly renamed John Bean Manufacturing Company is introduced on the San Francisco Exchange on Sept. 14. On Oct. 1, the acquisitions of Anderson-Barngrover Co. and Sprague-Sells (canning machinery) make the Bean Company the world's largest food machinery manufacturer. A contest is held for a new company name; the winning entry is Food Machinery Corporation.

1948 The company changes its name to Food Machinery and Chemical Corporation after making the largest acquisition in the history of the company--Westvaco Chemical Corp. (chlorine and caustic soda used to produce organic insecticides and pesticides). Westvaco brings huge deposits of phosphorus (used in synthetic detergents) and trona (used to make glass and other products).

1961 Company name changes to FMC Corporation.
    -------
    So it looks like a "KFC" thing...it doesn't actually stand for anything anymore. Last name was Food Machinery and Chemical Corporation.

I didn't realize John Bean was in w/FMC initially. Evidently they produced some apparatus under that name before calling them FMC apparatus.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Default FMC Pumper

We have a 1986 Spartan/FMC Pumper as our first out engine. It has performed very well. Only problem was a damaged impeller. I have been told that while this truck was being constructed, some business problems at FMC put it in limbo for a while, and our Chief and some trustees had to go to Florida to rescue the truck. We also have a 1969 International/Bean Pumper. It has a 750 GPM 2 Stage pump, that is very strong to this day. Also it has a High pressure fog pump which will pump & roll. We use this and HP pump for grass fires, very effective tool for grass fires.

Thread Information