Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default POC stations, response times, etc...

I'm working on getting hired as a Paid on Call firefighter. I'm curious though, how these types of stations work. The town I live in right now is full-time, so to get on a POC station, I have to head to the outskirts of my town, or to other towns. My question is, if I get hired on the next town over, do they allow sleeping at the station the nights I'm on call, or would I just respond from home and "get there when I get there?"

Responding from home, it would take me about 10-minutes to get to the station I've already applied at. Another station I'm planning on putting an application in at would take me about 15-minutes to get to. These times seem a little high to me (and this is assuming no blue lights), so sleeping at the station would probably be a better alternative if available.

Could anyone shed some light on response times, and just the way things work in POC/Volly stations? Anyone have any advice for getting on these departments, or know of any that are in the Northern suburbs of Chicago? Thanks in advance!

Tim
    Last edited by Ratchet; 11-18-2002 at 10:33 PM.

Anyone?

(sorry for bumping my own post)

Many of your more urban/suburban POC departments have a time requirement. Where I'm at in the Twin Cities, it's usually a 6 minute limit. Even if you stayed over every duty night, with the etended response time, it may still be hard for you to maintain any minimum call requirements. Have you thought about relocating to an area that has a good POC department that you would like to be part of?
    The time requiements are not to discourage membership, but to ensure public safety.
    Good luck...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information