Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Osteen Fla--Woman hurt as Jug Explodes

Woman hospitalized after mysterious plastic jug explodes
    November 14, 2002

OSTEEN, Fla.- A deer hunter was hospitalized with burns, bruises and abrasions after she picked up a five-gallon plastic jug and it exploded, officials and eyewitnesses said.

Barbara Wygant, 58, was airlifted to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where she was listed in stable condition Wednesday night.

The incident happened around 4 p.m. Wednesday, when Wygant stopped to pick up the jug which had been sitting near the gated entrance of the private hunting area for about a month, eyewitness David Jackson said.

Afterward, Wygant managed to ride her all-terrain vehicle to the home of Brenda Jackson, who said Wygant's shirt looked like someone had thrown acid on it, with the blue cloth almost bleached white in spots.

"She was pretty unsteady," Brenda Jackson said.

Sheriff's spokesman Gary Davidson said the case has been turned over to the State Fire Marshal and the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. No lab results were known late Wednesday.

Osteen is 27 miles south of Daytona Beach.

Information from: Daytona Beach News-Journal
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Not an Accident

Times Union

Investigators say Volusia bomb was deliberate 'booby trap'

The Associated Press

OSTEEN, Fla. - A five-gallon jug that exploded and injured a woman in central Florida was a bomb, investigators said.

"This was definitely an explosive device," State Fire Marshal Murray McDonald said Thursday. "It was a booby trap set with the intent and purpose of causing someone injury or worse."

Barbara Wygant, 58, was released from Halifax Medical Center on Thursday morning after being treated for injuries suffered when the plastic bottle blew up in her face a day earlier.

According to her friends, Wygant found the jug while deer hunting on land leased from Miami Corp. When she touched the jug, it detonated, causing burns, abrasions and bruises across the front of her body and injuring her right hand.

McDonald said evidence collected at the scene had been transported to the State Fire Marshal's crime lab in Tallahassee where it was being analyzed. Until those results are back, McDonald could not say what type of explosive was used.

McDonald said the bomb had been at the site for about two weeks and he doesn't believe it was targeted toward a particular person. More likely, it was meant for anyone in that general area, such as hunters or employees of the Miami Corp.

Earl Underhill, director of tree farm operations for Miami Corp., declined to speculate whether the incident was related to the company closing the area to unlimited public access. Miami Corp. owns about 57,000 acres of tree farms between Osteen and Oak Hill.

About two years ago, Miami Corp. restricted hunting, leaving many who had used the property when it was leased by the state without a place to hunt.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information