1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Land of milk and honey.
    Posts
    137

    Default Power worker injured resulting in fire at day-care center - House explodes

    Nov 19, 2002

    Power Line Accident Sets Fire to Roof of Day-Care Center
    The Associated Press

    PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (AP) - An electrical worker brushed against a high-voltage power line Tuesday, leaving him seriously injured and dropping a live line across the roof of a day-care center, setting it afire.
    About 40 children were safely evacuated, along with about 20 other people from other nearby homes. The fire at the day-care center was limited to its roof.
    About two hours into the drama, as firefighters were putting away their gear, residents complained of a gas leak. Officials were investigating when a house about 500 feet from the day care exploded in flames.
    Officials said they believe another electrical line touched the roof of the house and caused a gas line inside "to somehow pop or crack," said Dee Hawkins, Charlotte County Fire & EMS spokeswoman.

    Gas leaked into the house until it ignited with a loud boom. The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes.

    No one was injured in the fire, but a dog died in the explosion, Hawkins told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Sixteen other homes were evacuated until the leak was traced.

    Officials say two employees of a Florida Power & Light subcontractor were transferring power to new poles when one touched a live wire. The current from the 7,600-volt primary line hit him and a coworker.

    Both were taken to Lee Memorial Hospital, where they were in serious condition Tuesday night.

    Gina Palmieri, 19, a teacher with Karen's Kiddie Korrall, said she was reading a book to a roomful of 2-year-olds when she heard a loud boom. She and other teachers ran outside and saw that the live wire across their roof.

    The children, the oldest 5, were ushered across the street as the roof of the center began to smolder.

    "All of a sudden, the wire sparked and it looked like fireworks exploding on the roof," said Tammy Hight, 32, who works nearby and helped guide the children to safety.

    AP-ES-11-19-02 2333EST

    This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/florida/MGAXOZKRQ8D.html

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,685

    Default

    Officials said they believe another electrical line touched the roof of the house and caused a gas line inside "to somehow pop or crack,"
    That has got to be the strangest explaination I have ever heard.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register