MARCO ISLAND EAGLE

[b]Neighbors douse fire that destroys town house kitchen [/b

Wednesday, November 20, 2002

Eagle staff

Burning cooking oil ignited a late afternoon fire Nov. 13 that destroyed the kitchen of a two- story town house at Estuary Condominiums, 1213 San Marco Road, Marco fire officials said.

The fire caused $35,000 in damage, making the unit uninhabitable until the kitchen is restored, said Marco Island Fire Marshal and Deputy Chief John Burback.

Firefighters arrived at the town house rented by Ramone Mondoze and his daughter around 5:30 p.m., Burback said.


Fire officials said Mondoze's daughter put a pan with cooking oil on a hot stove and left the unit to give a friend a ride to work. There was no one in the condominium when the blaze began and there were no injuries, Burback said.

Before firefighters arrived, neighbors had sprayed most of the fire out with a garden hose, fire officials said.