Thread: Hydrant Colors

Forum Member

Default Hydrant Colors

Just wanting to know- My department currently spends a boat load of money on painting our hydrants to NFPA code. I am wanting to know if anyone else out there does the same? We paint the base of it silver and the tops according to flow rate.
    GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US

Forum Member

Around here, the water company owns the hydrants, not us. A long, long, time ago, in a land far, far, away ... the hydrants used to be painted according to flow. The water company then got the idea that if, for whatever reason, the hydrant didn't flow at the rate at which it was marked, they could be held liable. As a result, they are all red now.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

We have a similar situation as PA has stated. Waterworks is responsible for the hydrants. Most of the hydrants are painted yellow/green. The hydrants which do not drain properly are painted red.

Our City's Dept. of Utilities (Water Dept) maintains all of our hydrants. They color code the bonnet based on established flow rate. They only use red (less than 500) orange (500 - 1000) and green (1000 +). We know that we have many that are greater than 1500 gpm, but they do not use any other colors, i.e., blue.

As a company officer, I find it to be a huge help when considering a hydrant for water supply.

John

Forum Member

Our hydrants are yellow with differant color tops.

The colors are specified by size of the main.

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have finalized a plan to color-code our hydrants, we just haven't done it yet.

The barrels will be color coded acording to the size of the main, and the tops will be color-coded according to flow rate ranges.

We're definitely past the painting season here - maybe next summer!

Ours are owned by the Water Dept and are Red w/ white bonnets.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

We just recently started color coding our hydrants. White bottoms and red, orange, or green tops according to gpm. No blue tops although we do have one hydrant that flows over 1500.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

My department paints the hydrants yellow and the caps and bonnets by NFPA code. Many other departments around here paint them entirely yellow nad use reflective tape to denote the flow.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Ours are colored to whatever color the hydrants are sold to the Providence Water Supply Board. According to flow? Yeah Right!!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

I would say that about 90% of all the hydrants in NYC are black with silver bonnets. The residents who own a house with a hydrant in front of it usually paints it what ever color they like. They get pretty inventive too. I've seen hydrants decorated for the 4th of July(usually red white and blue). Or the more current flag motiff. Pink, red , silver, blue, you name it. The dogs seem to enjoy them as well. As far as flow rates. If water comes out of it, we are happy!

Forum Member

Our hydrants are owned and maintained by the City of Marlborough Department of Public Works Water Division...the only thing we do to them is put on hydrant markers in the fall and take them down in the spring.

Marlborough's hydrants are silver with orange caps and bonnets...nothing to do with gpm flow.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

My city's hydrants are all painted to NFPA standard. We use high school kids in the summer to paint hydrants. We also have a 2-yr rotating hydrant testing program where we test hydrants ever year. With all the other stuff we have to do it becomes a pain in the you know where, but you do get a feel for the flow capactities and other water supply issues in your still territory.

MembersZone Subscriber

The water department owns all our hydrants and maintains them, but we test and paint hydrants every two years, supposedly,. Then we flow, grease and oil them bi-annualy. The way I see it that if you test and check your hydrants yourself as a company you know that hydrant is more than likely going to work right when you need it. You also know where your hydrants are if you check them on a regular basis. We also paint the bonnets red, yellow, green and then blue then the rest silver and put reflective stripes on some of them.
    Last edited by keysim331; 11-25-2002 at 07:04 PM.

The water authority I work for owns and maintains the fire hydrants.
    All are painted silver and topped per NFPA standard. We flush each one every April and October. A flow and pressure test is performed at this time. Every other year they are greased and painted. All information is logged and fowarded to the Fire Marshal's office. Last year we installed blue reflective bands around the bonnets. We also installed blue signs at hydrants that were hard to see.

All repairs are done as quickly as possible and the local FD and FM are notified of all actions. We are very pro-active and are always upgrading our system.

Thread Information