IACOJ Agitator

Default What is this world coming to...

Five teens charged in sex, beating attack on girl
    November 21, 2002
    Associated Press

MANCHESTER, Conn. -- Five local teenagers, including a 15-year-old girl, have been charged with raping and beating up a 14-year-old girl.

The five , including three 15-year-old boys and a 14-year-old boy, are all charged with sexually assault in the first-degree as well as third-degree assault.

The 14-year-old boy and the 15-year-old girl have also been charged with making a false statement.

Sgt. John Maston said the victim was assaulted in a Manchester home on Nov. 6. Police learned about the attack two days later.

Maston said police also plan to arrest two 16-year-old on boys on charges related to the case.

The five arrested so far were being held at the Hartford Juvenile Detention Center. Because of their ages, their names have not been released and the arrest warrants have been sealed.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

When you listen to the hip/hop rap crap the kids listen to these days, it's no wonder...

the "so called lyrics" glorify guns, drugs, calling women "ho's" and suggesting that all they are good for is a piece of booty....

In that vein...

Gangsta thugs is what they are
    sellin' crack an' dope from a fancy car
    all they care about is gats, hos and bucks
    they think that the rest of the world is ******
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Go Gonzo! Go Gonzo! Go, Go, Go, Go Gonzo!

But seriously, in reference to the above mentioned atrocity, I myself have often wondered what the hell is going on. I am not sure that I can blame it on music. These people have brains, whether they use them or not is up to them. Unfortunately for the 14 year old victim these individuals decided not to use theirs, and she now has to deal with that for the rest of her life.
    Last edited by Lewiston2Capt; 11-22-2002 at 11:17 AM.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

IACOJ Agitator

Improper parenting and the restrictions society places on parents.

Example of restriction: Slap your child and you might get arrested and have your child taken away by DCF.
    IACOJ Agitator

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Locally (I mean in Victoria) there is a family who just passed through the Fifth Year Anniversary of their 14 yr old daughter who was beaten to death by five teenagers between ages 14 and 16. Three of them were girls. Three of the teenagers were tried in juvie courts, while one girl and boy (considered as the "Ringleaders") were tried in adult court.

Reena was severely beaten and left with two broken arms after she was swarmed by all 5. A little while later the one male and female returned to her, dragged her to the waters edge and then drowned her.

I can't remember the exact details of the last report from a few weeks ago, however, the girl, (who is now 20) who has been in jail since has made an appeal of some kind, but again memory is failing me. She still claims that "she didn't do it".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I agree with Adze, our children are taught at very young ages that they can report "abuse"; I had my son tell me once that he was going to call Social Services on me because I had spanked him. I told him to go right ahead, of course he didn't. But our society has taken away a lot of our authority as parents; on the same note authority has also been taken away within our school systems. How many of us grew up with the "threat" of the strap? I'll tell ya, I did and it WAS a huge deterrent cuz none of us ever wanted to be in the principal's office for that reason. Now there are such huge limitations in place when it comes to disciplinary actions that there is very little control over young people. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that beating a child is right by any means, but at the same time I'm not against a spanking when warranted either.

I feel that our society has indirectly influenced the trend toward deliquency. How many homes have a parent at home with the children before and after school?? Not many because in this day and age most families are double income out of necessity. Our society has become so fast paced that it's easy to lose sight of the important things, and almost impossible to remind yourself to take the time to stop and smell the roses. As someone who has worked within the school system I have seen how easily the buck is passed by parents and teachers alike. It is surprising how many parents will throw their hands up in the air and say "well lil Johnny is not my problem during school hours", or how many teachers will do the same in reverse, or how quickly it is deemed that a child who does not conform to some set standard should be medicated.

It is too easy to place the blame on music, violence on t.v etc; but I have to ask: where are the parents to monitor and have the influence that they should be having?? We can't shield our children from everything, but we can talk to them about things they see and hear, and make damn sure we are teaching them right from wrong.

Can all instances of kids doing "bad" things be blamed on parents ..... NO. Sometimes kids just do things, but most will learn from their mistakes. However, in the instance that was mentioned at the start of this thread I have to wonder, where were the adults when all these kids were at the house in question and what would possess kids to perform such an act of violence? It both scares and disgusts me.

I used to laugh as a child when the advertisement "It's now 10 PM, do YOU know where YOUR children are?" would come on the tv, but now I wonder, how many parents really do know where their children are? How many parents are aware of who their children are hanging out with? How many parents are aware of what outside influence make a difference in their children's lives? How many parents are even actively involved in their children's lives? Again, because of my time working within the school system, I saw so many children who would come to school events unattended, would not have agendas signed by parents, calls home went unheeded etc etc and the list goes on. When kids are "taught" by action that they don't matter, they soon believe that, and when you "don't matter" you stop caring because no one else does.

I have known people who have had "problem" kids who have literally just thrown their hands up in the air and said "I give up". Good thing to be teaching your kid, yeah, when the going gets tough, lie down and quit (insert sarcasm here). The majority of the time these kids are crying out "Pay attention to me, Hear my pleas for help, guidance and direction". When they are not getting these things from home of course they will look elsewhere for them. Parents and all other adults that are important in a child's life have to start paying attention, catch things before they happen (yes there are always advance "warnings" it's just a matter of being in tune enough to see them), and let the kids know that yes they do matter and yes they are cared for. People need to realize that when it comes to kids it's not the quantity of time spent that matters but the quality of time spent. So you work 10 hour days, make that 5 minutes, 20 minutes, 1 hour or whatever you have count. Hug your kids and tell them you love them DAILY. If all parents took the time to really know their kids I firmly believe that our juvenile system would experience a huge drop.

Sorry for such a long post but I am very passionate on this subject, when we stop caring about our kids, when we stop seeing what is destroying our kids and trying to save them from such things, this is when we stop caring about our future. To be quite honest I look at some kids out there today and if that's the future I'm scared. But at the same time I look at my own 3 and see how well mannered and polite they are and I KNOW there's more like them out there, and that scared feeling goes away.

I feel sorry for the victim in this case, but I also feel sorry for the perpetrators, yes they did wrong, but WHY is the question. What would drive a group of kids to this degree of violence. Instead of looking at the act I think it is wise to look beyond the behavior and look for the cause. JMHO.
    Last edited by PFire23; 11-22-2002 at 02:38 PM.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

"No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Truckie

Angry

Hmmmm, can't discipline at home; that's child abuse, and the government will take your kids: Can't disciline at school; that is contrary to what every "good" liberal believes, (corporal punishnment may turn them into the next ax murderer): And don't punish them in the court system; they're victims you know...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

IACOJ Agitator

Angry

Maybe if those damn hippies spent less time smoking dope then their brain cells wouldn't have been fried and they would have saw that their "peaceful ways" would screw up the future of America!!!!!!!
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

PFire23
    Yeah, I agree with that medication thing. People are never just bad kids or anything. It is always "well, that's only because he suffers from a severe case of pshycosomaticalsysteminogremetric philosphicaldistancebecauseism." Or, maybe he is just a kid that thinks that he is better, tougher than eveyone else.

One of the things that ticks me off is when kids in my class won't stand for/muble the words during the pledge. These same kids go around with 20 earings, 10 different hair colors thinking they're so tough. Now, I've never heard anybody say this persay, but these people would very,very easily think (while watching the news(which is something they usually never do because they are too busy getting high, and watching the news may actually raiese their IQ to something above 2!)) "Oh, those soldiers are wimps. I'm so tough, I'm so tough. Those soldiers say it's cold over there, ... what a bunch of wimps." They then stand up, go to bed in a house heated at 70 degrees under 10 blankets with every possible thing done to make them more comfortable, with their parents buying them everything, whether they need it or not. They show no effort in school, and years from now, every other week they will get fired from their already low paying job, do nothing but moan and woan, and suck the money out of the welfare/unemployment system of this country, hence raising the taxes of those of us that actually put in a little effort into the things we do, and take pride in what we do.

Rant rant rant, etc... Too tired to type anymore, and I'm sure my jumping from topic to topic has already confused too many people:=)
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Red face

Pfire-excellent post.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the parenting issue.
    Kids need parents. They don't always like them, but they need the ones that care. The ones that want to know all about their friends, their friend's parents, and what THEIR lives are about. We have a fifteen yr old nephew coming to live with us soon. He is all about that "gangsta" stuff. (He thinks he is anyway, he doesn't have any real clue except the unfortunate excuses for parents he's had up until now) This will be somewhat of a strain on an already large household (five little ones 11-6), but there is no other option at this time. The point is, parental controls are being given up, we are not LOSING them, it's just that parents have more and more abdicated their God given rights to be parents up to the system. Perhaps as a matter of convenience? Laziness? Being ill-equipped? I don't truly know. All I know is that it IS hard work. My parents did not face the same challenges I do and vice-versa.
    We must all collectively take that time to get to know these little creations that inhabit our homes and adore us. It takes giving up just about ALL spare time, but then again, do you really NEED a social life with that many kids, I mean, what do you think got you that many kids to begin with....?

It is truly a tragedy to see things like the thread starting event take place. It breaks my heart to see it....it would be worse if were something a responsible set of parents could have prevented....and most likely is. The things you put off talking to them about today, may be the things they learn on the street tomorrow. Communicate with them now, while they still recieve your frequency.....it works.
    Okay, off my soapbox, sorry for the novella. I too, feel pretty strong about this area as well. And yes, I AM crazy, why do you ask?

Peace
    Oklahoma Bound!

Thread Information