Thread: Equipment

Default Equipment

I am looking for a consensus as to what people are carrying for equipment in their high-rise packs. I am from a small community and the tallest buildings we have are 8-stories; some with standpipes, some without. I would appreciate any responses.
    Thank You.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile OK......

For us, it's 100 ft 1.5 hose, Combination nozzle, 2.5 X 1.5 X 1.5 Gated Wye, 5-8 ft. 2.5 hose, spanner, and 10 inch pipe wrench. our tallest blg. on the 1st alarm is 10 stories, but most buildings are much lower. The Ladder and Heavy Rescue people take their own tools with them. We are more concerned with the "big box" stores than hi-rises. (although we drill with it, we don't use the pack very much) Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Our high rise set up consits of 100' of 1 3/4; 100' of 2 1/2; and a high rise bag. Each rig except the squad carries this. In the bag there is: 2.5 to 1.5 gated wye, smooth bore nozzle, sprinkler wedges, door stops, wrench, spanner wrenchs, and in some areas a standard thread adaptor.

Smooth bore is used for 2 main reasons.
    1. Reduced water pressure. this is easier to handle and easier on your engines but most importantly on some systems there are pressure reducing valves which will not allow to pump over a certain pressure, this is what happened in Philly at the one meridian plaza fire. For this reason I personally would only use 2 1/2 with smoothbore to make high rise attacks.

2. Debris, most standpipes arent taken care of and kids, druggies etc will put crap into the outlets and stuff can get into the standpipe. If u use a fog nozzle there is the potential to clog the flow of water while if u used a smooth bore the object may pass through.

Thread Information