Question SIPS High Presure Cylinder Locations???

Cutting into SIPS high pressure cylinders can be hazardous to your health. How many "confirmed" cylinder locations can our readers list?
    We may not be able to remember the locations in all the different makes and models of cars, but the specific locations we can surely store in our memory banks for future reference.

Forum Member

Bottom of A post/top of A pillar (near dashboard)
    C post (bottom, top, middle)
    Center rear area of roof.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

This web site has specific hazards for new car models:

www.vehiclex.com/t-research-challenge.htm

This web site has a lot of info concerning airbags and photos of some locations:

http://resq.dcom.net/newspub/story.cfm?ID=196

Went to a class on this earlier this year and the main point was to be careful as cutting into one of these cylinders will be the last thing that you do.
    Last edited by ARFF26; 11-28-2002 at 12:08 AM.

Perhaps Jorg with his contacts at Mercedes could help, I would like to know what would happen to the cylinders if we responded to a vehicle heavily involved in fire. Would they vent or explode?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello!

I put together the locations I currently know in a graphic and attached it to this post. Do you know any other locations?

Regarding hybrid gas generators and vehicle fires mercedes benz says that nothing dangerous will happen (they also say this for cutting into the inflator, which I do NOT believe because I have seen a couple of videos). In germany every gas generator is tested for fire situations by the BAM (Bundesamt fuer Materialprüfung, an agency for material testing) where the generator is heated up with 80° per minute. If there is any explosion, the generator will not get the permission to be built in!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jorg Heck
    Moditech Rescue Solutions B.V.
    http://www.moditech.com

Forum Member

JorgHeck - thanks for the picture, as always, worth a thousand words.

I seem to remember not that long ago, a post about Renault? putting air bags in rear seat belts. Anyone have any idea where those cylinders would be located?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information