Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Day time crew staffing

Our volunteer department is looking at adding a volunteer day time staff. This staff would be manning our first out pumper for all calls. Does anyone have any information relating to this? We would like to look at different avenues of this. Department SOG's/SOP's addressing this would be greatly appreciated. You can email me directly at oakgrovefirecapt2@att.net
    Thank you for your assistance

couple of questions............any fulltime people ? and what state are you in ? hours of coverage ? any EMS ? and if so what level of care ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Default Re: Daytime staffing

We currently do not have any fulltime firefighters. Was looking at manning one engine company and a chief officer from the hours of 8am till 4 pm. This is when our response is pitiful. We have a fulltime ambulance crew, they are ALS, but they are paid by the county. We are a city department. I have seen this work at my old department, we would run 2 duty crews on Friday and Saturday evenings. Thank you.

Forum Member

We have recently started this up. Just for info, we are paid-on-call, so we are paid for our shifts (which is starting to turn us into a combination dept, but that's a separate issue).
    We started doing ambulance standby's this summer. One of the two ambulances has a 2 man crew for anywhere from about 6-8 hours Mon-Thurs (depends on how much money we have). Then we have pretty much constant coverage from Fri morning til Sun night. Right now, we work with separate funding for EMS and fire.
    We started fire shifts this month. We are swapping off with another dept we are quasi-merged with (they have their own budget, so they are paying for half the week, we pay for the other). One dept mans a 2 man crew Mon, Wed, Fri, the other covers Tues and Thurs, roughly 8 hours a day. Our goal is for there to be a fire crew at one station and an EMS crew at the other. The fire crew has the blessing to respond to ambulance calls as first responders (our goal is for at least one of those two FFs to be and EMT also), to include rolling the other ambulance if needed (if the firefighters transport, then their pay switches from the fire budge to the EMS budget). Unfortately, the ambulance crew cannot grab a fire truck to go to fires (they can bring the bus, but the defibrilator is of limited use on a car fire . We will also pull fire shifts on some holiday weekends (like this one coming up) and high wildfire danger weekends. Another benefit of the shifts is we are getting better upkeep of the station and equipment.
    If you are straight volunteer, that would be a plus for paperwork, but might be a minus when finding people to work the shift.

Thread Information