Thread: Meet-n-Greet

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Meet-n-Greet

Alright now.

Lets all us fine Virginia folks show some of that Southern Friendliness we're famous for.

Everyone jump in and say howdy & Maybe a little about yourself.

I'll start (Duh - I DID create the thread right ??).

I'm a volunteer Firefighter / Paramedic. I've been in EMS for over 13 years and Fire for a little under 10.

I'm also a charter member of the County Wide Technical Rescue Team (which was formed around 1994).

O.K. folks - that me - lets hear about you.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Hope y'all don't mind, but Virginia is still my favorite place to live, even though I can't make it back.

Firefighter/Paramedic 10 years. 2 1/2 of which was with Chancellor Vol. Fire Department Company 6, Spotsylvania County.
    Truck/Engine/Wagon & Attack 6.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Where is everyone?

Howdy:

I have been in EMS for 10 Years and Firefighting for 1 Year now.

I was starting to feel the burn from EMS and needed a change, and let me tell you, I am falling in love very fast with firefighting.

Contrary to the jokes about firefighters being ignorant, I find that firefighting requires alot of thought, and strategizing.

I am glad to be a part of the firefighting brotherhood and hope to exchange posts with fellow Virginians.

Be Safe.

Stephen
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    DOD
    Fort Belvoir, Va

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

Hi all.

Short time Firefighter/Paramedic for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue. Been involved in Fire/EMS for a little over 10 years now as a volly for Fairfax County, Summer Guy for the City of Fairfax, Firefighter/Paramedic for Houston (TX) Fire Department and a Paramedic for DC Fire.

*whew!*

I think I'll stick with Fairfax County for a while though, I'm getting sick of rookie school!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Howdy.

I have been a volunteer for 16 years, 8 of which are at my current station.

I am a volunteer with Mangohick V.F.D. in King William County, Va. It's a small, rural department with about 35 members. We operate 2 engines, 3 tankers, a brush truck, and an E.M.S. first response car. Our YEARLY call volume is between 90 and 110.

Currently, I am serving as training officer, but on January 1st,2003 I will be Chief.

Stay safe and God bless.

Arthur
    Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Reyalsnomed
    ... but on January 1st,2003 I will be Chief.
    And may God have mercy on your soul.

I mean congratulations !!
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Originally posted by N2DFire

And may God have mercy on your soul.

I mean congratulations !!
    Yep. I'm excited and scared as hell all at the same time. I've been working toward this for a long time. Now I'm just worried about screwing it up.

Thanks for the... umm... "encouragement".
    Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

Forum Member

Talking

Hello everybody,
    Saying HI from the good ole shenadoah valley, near the I-81 and I-64 corrador. I have been doing EMS for more than half my life, crossed over and started fire about 5 years ago. I am currenly a volunteer NR-EMT-P/FF II, taking pride in this being the first female in the area to accomplish this (now there is one other). I have done too much different stuff over my last 17 years of volunteering to list. Always glad to meet other fire and ems providers from the great state of virginia. Everyone take care!!
    Sandy H., FF/NREMT-P

Greater love have no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Hello my fellow Virginians,
    I am no longer in Virginia, but I did live there for 18 years. Now I am no longer a Tech fan, but made the smooth transition to a UT fan.(Now living in TN) Anyway, just checking to see where everyone was from, I lived in Abingdon when I was there. That is right next to Bristol (southwest,VA) for the people that do not know. Everyone take care, time to the bed.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Hey y'all, yet another I-64er, close to 81. I'm from Waynesboro, born and raised here, want to work here, will probably die here. Been a Junior Firefighter for 9 months, when I joined as soon as I found out they were starting a Junior program. My state test for EMT was supposed to be tonight, but with all of this unknown cold, white powder that nobody has seen for God knows how long, I think it might be knocked back a few weeks. I must be strange, because I can't stand Tech or UVA, been a Nebraska fan for quite a while. Not too big on the Deadskins either, always been a Raiders fan. You guys stay safe out there this holiday season, and Sandy check your PM's. Later y'all!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

District Chief

Post Old Virginia F/F

No longer in Virginia but I started in Warrenton as a junior firefighter in January 1971 and volunteered there for 28 years. Was a career firefighter in PWC (Captain) for 19 yrs and then for Federal Govt for 18 months at Vint Hill Farms until it closed. State Instructor there also.

Moved to Florida and was a volunteer Assistant Chief and now work as a career firefighter in a small city in Florida.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Hello there my fello Virginia brothers and sisters. Been in the service for 6 years..4 in Arlington and around 2 here in Loudoun....lovin' every minute of it

Forum Member

Default Hi from Chesterfield

Hi! I am a writer/photographer.I'm not a FF
    but my writing is how I am
    part.

Any special news about your dept,
    or if ya just wanna say hi,feel
    free to write
    me.My email is:
    fungirlwriter@yahoo.com

Becky Robinette Wright

Lightbulb Another VA FF

HI I'm from south central VA, near Danville. I've been a member of Mt. Hermon VFD for 8 years officially, but lots longer unofficially since I grew up hanging around there, 2nd generation FF. I was inactive there for a few years though, as I moved to a different part of the county and was an officer in another FD/Rescue. But due to internal strife, I had to quit and became active back where I started at. I live about 20 minutes from my station so I'm not as active as I want, but I'm working on it! I'm currently a Firefighter/Cardiac Tech there. and my wife is also a Cardiac Tech there with aspirations to find out a little more about this firefighting thing! We are also both active in VAVRS and we judge the EMT competition in VAVRS district 5. It's cool to see local people on here too, not just the ones from far off.

PS, N2DFire if you think back you might remember who I am, we used to e-mail and chat on occasion, but I used a different name then.

Default Hello to everyone...

My name is Todd. I'm with the Bridgewater Fire Dept- which is a few miles from the intersection of I-64 & I-81. I've been a firefighter for 15 years, mostly as a volunteer. I did a brief stint as career for 4 years.

I am currently Fire Chief, and yes it can be a head-ache Luckily I have some good help because otherwise it could honestly be a full-time job. I check firehouse.com for news every day or two, but I've stayed away from the forums because of time constraints. The recent LODD death of 16 year old Anndee Huber from Wyo. has upset me, and I started reading threads concerning her, and looking around at other posts. Zero tolerance with alcohol is the only answer for the fire service.

Stay Safe!
    Last edited by tbg1535; 06-01-2003 at 03:34 AM.

Default Va FF/EMT's

Hi There......

Grew up in Radford, VA, began working in ER at local hospital in 1971 while still in High School, became one of the first registered EMT's in Va under first curriculum, Beleive it was 110 hours ????, just above advanced first aid, took my first ambulance ride in a converted black Cadillac hearse (anyone remember when you sat facing the front of the ambulance, everyone got O2 with a black rubber demand valve whether they needed it or not, and speed was the rule of the road ?). Surely have seen tremendous advances in the many years since then, still hve family in Radford and miss strolling accross the campus. It was still an all women's school until '73 or so, had mucho fun in that town.......still have some friends on the F.D. rolls there.... I live in S.E. Georgia on the Atlantic Coast now, work full time for a County Fire-Rescue Dept as a FF/EMT-I, and also volunteer for a large metro dept., and own an Italian Deli, having married a N.Y. Italian babe, who keeps me in line all the time.....

Loved my times in Va., and visit as often as possible...take care, stay safe, and hopefully will find some old friends here

Thanks, firemedic402@adelphia.net

Forum Member

Kevin here, full time Firefighter/Parmedic in the town of Hopkinton (NH) and part time in my home town of Merrimack. I've been in EMS for 10 years and the fire service 1. I was 18 when I got Basic & Intermediate, just a kid really, and ten years later.... I'm still a kid! It's a great career, and I use my off duty time to do landscaping. Take care out there everyone.

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

I'm a volunteer EMT in the city of Virginia Beach and a firefighter trainee at the local college. Since i'm just getting into things, everything is sort of huge and confusing, so assistance, advice, and suggestions are welcome. (My dad and grandfather were firefighters, but it's been a while since they retired! Not much help there!)

So, hello everyone!
    Nemiko

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Whats up? I've been on the job for about 11 years. 7 as a volunteer in the Driver fire dept. and 41/2 for the City of Suffolk.
    JASONSFD LADDER 5
    IAFF L2801 WOODEN LADDERS AND IRON MEN

Default Just a baby

Looks like I'm the rookie in this forum....

I've been a volunteer with the Sterling Volunteer Fire Department in Loudoun County for 3 years. I also run with the number 3 house in Roanoke County when I'm down at school, and just finished up as a summer hire with the City of Fairfax fire department (the absolute best summer job in the world!)

Stay Safe....

Forum Member

any southwest VA firefighter/ems around?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fungirlwriter View Post

Hi! I am a writer/photographer.I'm not a FF
    but my writing is how I am
    part.

Any special news about your dept,
    or if ya just wanna say hi,feel
    free to write
    me.My email is:
    fungirlwriter@yahoo.com

Becky Robinette Wright

Okay, this is an old post so you probably won't respond. . . but you're not the one who went through recruit school are you? 30 in 30 out?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Roanoke here

I am a Lt. with Roanoke Fire-EMS (city).

I also run http://www.VAFireNews.com

It is good to see this thread make a comeback.

Forum Member

Default reply from fungirlwriter

No I was not in the 30 in 30 out.

If you are in Chesterfield,you probaly have seen me in the field somewhere.

I am sorry you are having issues with with your work and/or people/command. If someone is not happy in their work it can be a living heck.

I am not telling you what to do,this is just a suggestion. And you do not have to name names or the unit/station you are with. Don't tell me. My suggestion is this...is it work/protocal issues alone,personality conflicts..or a mixture of both?

Is there anyone you are comfortable with that you can discuss your issues with? Being stressed out all the time is not good for you and how can you be happy,of course you will be miserable.

Also,sometimes when our nerves are raw from one thing-everything seems harder to deal with.

My suggestion is this: Would a transfer to another unit/station help? Would a short leave help? Maybe even a chat with the Chaplain to just get things out?
    Maybe,go to adminstration and be honest about what you are dealing with and ask them-what are you suppose to do to solve these issues? I don't think anyone would be mad at you for trying to solve problems,I think you would be admired for trying to get things settled. I'm not saying it would easy,but it might be okay.

It would be tragic to lose a good EMS provider,but if all else fails is working for another jurisdiction an option? Maybe it would be less stress. Only you know if that would be good for you or not.

I really hope you can get the issues worked out,I am sorry things are tough for you right now. You are trying to do a good thing with your life,don't give up,please keep trying.

I hope nothing I have said sounded bossy or offended you,I was just trying to offer some suggestions to help you,not tell you what to do.

If you wish,you can contact me at fungirlwriter@yahoo.com or we can communicate here.

be safe
    Becky

Forum Member

im from lower king and queen (right next to the york river) were i am a junior firefighter. We have a rural department but have had some horrible fires.

dont know if ya'll heard but that plane crash were 13 people died. That was us.

Thread Information