Thread: hi

Thumbs up hi

i have the honor of making the first thread in this new forum. i want to start out by giving a big thumbs up to the WT for the new look on this site.

ok, now down to business. everybody from NY introduce yourselves here. stuff like name, location, dept., rank, experience, make stuff up. i'll start:

my name's Rob Emerson i'm a lt. with the holley fire dept. explorers. holley is a small town in orleans county(between rochester and buffalo). i've been in the fire service for 2 years now.

happy posting everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi I have no clue why I was refered to this forum but I am interested in what you have to say.

i was trying to get some people from NY in here to start posting, since this is the NY forum

MembersZone Subscriber

I am from NY and want to say that NY needs to start drawing up better laws regarding volunteers. Our state needs to look at the different problems out there and adress them better. Pataki is good but needs to get out to the rural area where we need the help.

yeah we're hurting over here too.

Forum Member

tshayes wrote
    . Pataki is good but needs to get out to the rural area where we need the help.
    The problem with that is that NY is a home rule state, meaning that they tend to let municipalities and counties take care of themselves. I dont think you will see NY writing up laws governing FDs until something goes wrong. The OFPC has guidelines for FF training, that is a good thing. I would say that individual FDs set up training so that they are in line with the national FF1 and 2 curriculum and then hold people to those training requirements.
    NYS can make as many laws as it wants, such as the "you cant use a cell phone without hands free capabilities while driving" law. I cant tell you how many people I have seen driving around with their cell phone up to their ear. Laws dont work without enforcement.

Shawn Cecula
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2
    Captain
    8 yrs service.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

I concur with the Captain from Lewiston.

You want change? Make change!!!!!!

There are people who make things happen.
    There are people who watch things happen
    And there are people who wonder what happened.

Don't blame Pataki, start lower, like your chief who hasn't made a case for what he needs and not taken NO for an answer.

BTW:
    I'm Artie. I've been a firefighter for 27 years, 20 years with the FDNY, 10 years a Lieutenant. I like long walks on the beach, sunsets and........AHHHHHH screw that, Fight for what you need! Stop blaming others for what you don't have!

Talking

Hi New York!

Greetings from Westchester. This forum is too cool! I am no longer a firefighter, but left the Fire Service in 1983 to attend college. I began as a 15 year old Cadet and worked up through the ranks to be a paid firefighter and fire instructor. (To date myself even more, I was a charter subscriber to Firehouse magazine. )

I just happened upon this site last weekend...I never would have dreamed of this kind of thing in the 70's. Anyway, after grad school and other career moves, I'm now a psychologist, but I'm sure you can understand that one never really "leaves" the fire service. It's always in my heart and I remember my days on the rig fondly. Oh yeah, if I stayed I'd be retired now.

Take care, boys.

Al (FirePsych)

Forum Member

Default HI BROS.

I have been a firefighter 18 + years and I am from a small city in upstate. ........ E229LT I too like long walks on the beach and womens underware..... ...just kidding !
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

There are people who make things happen.
    There are people who watch things happen
    And there are people who wonder what happened.

E229LT: This is so true in the fire service.

Lewiston2Capt: I have to agree with you about the home rule. Almost all of my training is from the Suffolk County Fire Academy. I only attended the state academy for my Fire Instructor I. The one problem I had was figuring out what Suffolk classes the state would accept as equivalent to theirs.

Chet
    Ex.Captain Truck 1
    Selden, LI
    15 Years

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings from Rockland County. I have only been in the service about a year, would have been longer if we had a junior program. I am a third-generation firefighter and my family has over 200+ years combined in the service.

Been on the forums a while now, look forward to some interesting discussions in our own personal board.

Default Hey

What's up everyone just want to say hey i am from upstate NY i just join the fire co in Ballston Spa 3 months ago or so. so far so good

nick Pagano
    Union Fire Co #2
    Ballston Spa NY

Default Hello

Greetings from Washington County. My name is Glenn. I'm a FF/EMT-D with the Kingsbury Vol. Hose Company and an EMT-D with the Bay Ridge Rescue Squad in neighboring Warren County. I've been in the fire service since 1994. It's great to have a forum for us New Yorkers!!!! TC/SS
    Glenn Ralston, FF/EMT-D
    Kingsbury Vol. Hose Co.
    Bay Ridge Rescue Squad

IACOJ Safety Officer

Forum Member

Hello everyone from Tioga County.

I joined the Fire service in 1992 in Chemung, NY and moved here to Waverly about a year ago when I joined Waverly/Barton. I also am a an EMT that is curently enrolled in Arnot Ogdens Paramedic program, I do also run with Greater Valley EMS and Rescue in Sayre, PA which is only about 1.3 miles from my home. I am always striving to learn new things and have served as an officer in my old department for a few years up until moving. I work full time as a 911 Dispatcher in Bradford County, PA and have been there for about 2 years.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Hey NY'ers,

havent been on these forums in a long time

just sayin hi from Downstate NY, Long Island, Nassau Co., Lynbrook.

that should just about cover it

i like the changes around here
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

Talking Checking in from the NORTH

Greetings from northern NY. Hope all had a good Christmas holiday.Must say I like the idea of a state forum. Thanks webbies!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello NY!!
    My name is Glenn Briggs, I am with the Magee Vol. Fire Dept in Seneca County (In the heart of the Finger Lakes). I have been with my Dept. for a year and a half. At the present time I am just a Firefighter, but will be running for 3rd Asst. Cheif this coming week.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

Hello New York from The Upper Westside of Manhattan.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Western NY signing in.......Niagara County to be exact. I have the dubious pleasure of having to answer "here" when someone says "where's the damn Chief?".

IACOJ - Proud member.

Another "Finger Lakes"er here...
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Default Hi brothers,

Hi from upstate. I've been a career FF/EMT for going on 5 years and a Volunteer FF for 8 years before that. This site will be good for all of us to talk about the fire service in our world.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Checking in from Port Jeff, Long Island

Hey, I like the state page. Checking in from Port Jefferson, out on Long Island. Where are all the Long Islanders? I have seen olny one here. Come on guys chime in!
    B Holmes

Smile

Hi everyone!
    I am a 17 year member of a great upstate vol fire dept in Columbia County, NY. Currently firefighter and fire investigator. One of 5 women in my dept. I love the fire service! Its a great way of life. Both my children (girl and boy)are Junior explorers. They couldn't wait to follow in Mom and Dad's footsteps!

Janet
    Greenport Fire Department
    firefighter/investigator
    17 yrs and going strong

Just saying HI from Westchester, NY - South Salem FD to be exact.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi from upstate NY!! With the weather the way it's been I wish I was saying hi from someplace like Sunny South Florida!! Just kidding! I'm from a small career dept and have 19 yrs of service. Looking forward to sharing info with all you other New Yorkers!

Thread Information