Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Ilean The Fire Engine

We purchased a new Pierce engine in August. Shortly after its arrival we noticed that the rescue body leans on the drivers side. We were told by the local dealer that it was due to the positioning of the tank and the weight of the water that is causing this and that we should not be concerned. I believe that it could be a safety issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any input,
    Nathan
    Thanks, Nathan

MembersZone Subscriber

MY FIRST QUESTION FOR YOU IS DID THE TRUCK HAVE THIS LEAN WHEN YOU GOT IT. IF IT DID YOU SHOULDNT HAVE ACCEPTED THE TRUCK. I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH OF A SAFETY ISSUE IT WILL BECAUSE I CANT SEE IT. BUT I CAN GIVE YOU SOME EXPERENCE FROM OUR PIERCE. IT IS BUILT WITH THEIR STANDARD "T" TANK WHICH PUTS THE WATER UP HIGH. WE HAVE ALLOT OF BODY ROLL GOING AROUND CORNERS. IT HAS NEVER EFFECTED THE PERFORMENCE. BUT IT HAS GENERATED A MAINTENANCE ISSUE. ALL OF THE FASTENERS HOLDING THE BODY PANELS ON THE PUMP PANEL AREA ARE GETTING TORN FREE FROM ALL OF THE FLEXING. YOU MAY END UP WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. ALL I CAN SUGGEST IS TO TRY AND MOVE YOUR EQUIPMENT AROUND TO OFF SET IT. GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET PIERCE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Arrow

The group that picked the engine up missed the lean on the acceptance inspection. While driving it back to PA they had to empty the booster tank before getting onto the Ohio Turnpike. It was about two weeks after receiving the engine that we put water into it, after a week or so a few people noticed the lean. I will try to get a picture on that shows the problem.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Thanks, Nathan

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Interesting. Our Medtec ambulance does the same thing. As you know, Medtec got bought by Pierce some years ago.

Must be genetic....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thumbs up

UPDATE: The new engine happened to be at the dealer last night. The mechanic took a second look at the problem and found that the spacers on the axle were switched (drivers side spacer where the passenger side should be and vice versa). Pierce is going to take care of it. Overall its a great engine.

Nathan
    Thanks, Nathan

Forum Member

We were told by the local dealer that it was due to the positioning of the tank and the weight of the water that is causing this and that we should not be concerned.
    So evidently your local dealer is either totally unqualified to sell and inspect fire apparatus OR he was too lazy to crawl under the rig and find out what the problem was. His response sounds like a typical sales response, "Oh that lean to the left is a new feature and we won't charge you anything extra for it."

Glad the mechanic found the problem. Good luck with your new rig.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Thread Information