Forum Member

Default Explorer / Junior Advisors- Lets get a discussion going...

Attention any and all Explorer / Junior / Cadet / Whatever post advisors and other adult leaders.

Since this seems to be a gathering place for many many people involved in the fire service, why not get a good duscussion going between the various post advisors out there. I know I am always looking for ideas and thoughts on how to better run our Explorer Post and what better way than the experiences, both good and bad, from others in the same position. So anyone that fits the bill, drop in, share your thoughts and ideas with everyone else. Drills, meetings, fundraising, extra activities, incidents, anything.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our biggest extra activity of the year, is we have an annual Fire Explorer Competition every year, between the posts in our area, and any other registered Fire Explorer post, that is willing to make the trip to Cincinnati for one weekend in May. Normally, we have about 17 posts participating. Our explorers really enjoy it, and all the advisors help during the year to plan for it. This year, I am actually involved big time, As I have taken on being an ***'t Chairman for the competition planning committee.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am the advisor for our Jr's. We are sponsered by the BSA. I have about 10 active members and a total of 20 all together.We are on Long Island just outside NY city. I am looking for interesting drills to hold for the group. Please post some of the drills your group likes best. Thanks.
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

We do a variety of drills, including the quick response drill. This one is quick and easy, and covers a wide range of topics. Have the explorers start out with their turnouts and everyone lined up for a different position on the truck, time the event. have them Get dressed in full turn out gear, climb on the truck, and give you a signal when they are ready. Stop the clock, and make sure that all explorers have their gear on correctly, and that their seatbelts are fastened. After this has been checked, have them signal you again to restart the time. When time is restarted, have them make a standard lay 2 1/2 to gated wye to 1 3/4 line. When all hose is connected, open valve and give them water. Have them knock over rubber cone approx 25 feet away. Stop time when cone is knocked over. See how fast they can get and performing this simple series of tasks.

I AM LOOKING FOR ANYONE WHO CAN PROVIDE COPYS OF GUIDELINES FOR CADET PROGRAMS IF YOU COULD PLEASE EMAIL ME HAMTWSPFIRE@CS.COM

Forum Member

Default New junior firefighter group

My department is considering a junior firefighter program. I will be an advisor, along with two other members. We are a small department in rural West Virginia, only receiving around 50 alarms per year. We are hoping the junior firefighter program will lead to a greater interest in the fire service from young people in our town. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

let me know through PM what you need and I will try to help as best I can. I have all kinds of things from explorer SOP's, to anythign else you might need. Just let me know.

Thread Information