District Chief

Default Nassau County Fla--Amelia Plantation Blaze

Amelia blaze under investigation

Damage estimated in the millions

By Veronica Chapin
    Times-Union staff writer

A warehouse fire that caused millions of dollars in damage at Amelia Island Plantation Sunday evening is being investigated.

Officials with the State Fire Marshal's Office and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement were on the scene yesterday to determine the cause of the blaze.

The 80,000-square-foot building erupted in flames about 9:10 p.m. and took 18 firefighters about two hours to contain, said Nassau County Fire/Rescue Chief Chuck Cooper.

The damage to the single-story metal building is estimated at $2 million to $4 million, he said, and is the area's worst fire in two years.

One firefighter was treated for a strained muscle in his back and was released from Baptist Medical Center in Nassau County yesterday.

The warehouse in the 1500 block of Lewis Street is used as a laundry, mail center and food and beverage storage area. It services 670 rooms and seven restaurants at the plantation.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

Post Update on Damages

Here is a link to the story that updates the damage amount estimates to the facility.

http://www.fbnewsleader.com/edition/...ntpage/s3.html
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information