Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default im doing a project and need info

hello guys,

ok im doing a project for school and i need something that is used in the fire service that has some type of technology to it. i was going to do the thermal imaging camera but i couldnt find anything on it. what i am looking for is how does this object work what is it used for what is the history behind it. stuff like that something so i can cover 3 pages with information, so if you know anything about the camera can you e-mail me with the information or tell me where you found it or possible tell me something else pertaining to the fire service because i only have 3 weeks to do this and i need it done.

my e-mail is
    backdraft@zoomtown.com
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

bullard.com gets you brief info. I'm sure the other manufactuers sites like MSA, etc would have some info too. If all else fails goto google.com and type in "Thermal Imagers" or somethin like that. Good luck on the project.

Export V.F.D.

Forum Member

How come everybody uses this forum to do homework? Aren't you supposed to do your homework yourself, not have somebody else go digging up the information for you.
    Last edited by JRFireman; 12-01-2002 at 10:26 AM.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

im looking up information also, im just posting it here to maybe get more information.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

MembersZone Subscriber fyrfyter33's Avatar

Just curious, but if you aren't willing to help others out, with questions they have, or probelms they have, then what are you doing in this field?

well i got questions you got questions lay them on me and ill try to answer, but i havent been in the fire service long. i see your from cincinnati im not to far myself im about 20 miles east of cincinnati

take care guys
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Forum Member

To me a great example is pumps, Many sites like Waterous and darley will give you tons of info on the eveloution of pumps. I think even if you look at some depts like ours you have one truck in our case a 1977 with a 750 GPM pump and our 1992 with a 1500 Gpm there in 15 years you have huge steps in change or even further back to the rotary pumps of the '30s that at maximum achieved 125 Gpm. Good luck.

You can even go further back than that, and get an idea about the Ahrens-Fox fire apparatus, and their famous piston pump, which pumped water with pistons, much like the pistons in your car. Very intersting pump design, as one would think this would cause the water pressure to fluctuate, when in fact, these pumps do one heck of a job of staying constant.

Forum Member

Ok, because the way it sounded in the beginning is as if you wanted everybody else to come up with information for you, rather than doing research. A good idea would be to find somebody who has used the device, and get their opinion/information on it. Although some of the things mentioned may be a little too old, ...

None of the items mentioned in this post are
    too old
    Information can be found on all of them including the roatary pump as well as the piston pump. Obviously the centrifugal single stage pump is the newest and easiest to get information on, but there is info out there on the others as well. Trust me, I found information on Ahrens-Fox even though they don't exist anymore as a company, and their last owner/employee died in the mid 90's. The info is there, you just have to find it.

Forum Member

I didn't mean that it would be too old to find information on, I meant that it may be too old to find people that have used it. I don't know. I don't know how old that piece of technology is.

What about the changes in technology in the fire service.
    Fire pumps meaning people throwing buckets of water to having tons of people turning cranks, to what we have now.

ok i dont know if i would be able to pumps because this is a technology class i think he is looking more like computer technology like thermal imaging cameras, possibly SCBA, anyone have anything else possibly i could use to to do the project on
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

All new pumps that are put onto trucks are computer controlled. They are PTo driven off of the engine, and a computer either in the pump panel or on the engine actually controls how many RPM's the engine puts off. Look at a modern pump panel vs. an older one and you will see major differences. I don't know of any manufacturers, or Fire apparatus that still just use the throttle control for pumping. Most use it as a backup, but still have a computer as the primary controller.

As far as old items are concerned, We have some retired personnel who have operated the old style piston pump on an Ahrens-Fox. We also stil have most of the orignial equipment for this truck, as well as the buckets with rounded bottoms, so that you could not set them down.

Fi youreally want to compare something, look at the old steamers, that could pump as much as some modern day trucks of today.

Thread Information