Forum Member

Thumbs up Phases of rescue NFPA

Hello:
    I need the phases rescue NFPA 1670 for extrication.

Carlos Britez
    Paraguay firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

A document detailing the NFPA 1670 Phases of Rescue model drill will be sent to Carlos and anyone who would like this file.

Contact me directly at <Rmoore@firehouse.com> and ask for the Phases information and I'll get it right out to anyone who can use it.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

The Phase drill is very useful and well structured. On my former department we would didn't time the extraction. I did time everyone on setting the staging area with tools. Every member, alone, would sit in the truck in the driver seat. The firemen would have on bunker gear. When they drove out of the station time would start. Once they cleared the door of the station, they would stop, place the trunk in park then into pump. Next, remove the tarp and place it between the trunk and at least 7 feet from the vehicle. Removing all the tools from the truck onto the tarp: cones, hydraulic pump and hoes, jaws, cutters, ram, pry bar and halogen tool. Connect the hydraulic hose to the pump and start the pump. Time stopped once the tool started to move. Hints were not given during the drill if a person was missing something. Less than 4 minutes was considered good time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I really like the idea of drilling on arrival and tool deployment actions. The time from when a unit arrives at an emergency scene until the first effective action is taken is commonly referred to as "reflex time". That delay factor from the time you get there until you actually do something positive. Your addition to the Phases of Rescue drill measures some of this reflex time and I think that is a great idea.

Just think about it. If instructors tell us that we only have 10 or 15 minutes to get a critical patient out of an entrapment, your drill shows that four of those minutes is used up just getting ready to go into action!
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information