Forum Member

Default Centaur Rescue tools

Does anyones department have any of the new Centuar extracation tools. We just purchased a new set of jaws and went with this brand. They seem to work pretty good. You can run 3 tools at once with no problem, and the power unit is fairly quite. Just a week after w got them we had to use them on a bd car wreck and they did the job without any problems.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Default Re: Centaur Rescue tools

Originally posted by FF41230
    We just purchased a new set of jaws and went with this brand.
    Did you purchase a set of "Jaws" or did you get "Centaur"? Ok, I know they are both from the Hurst camp... but "Jaws of Life" is a trademark for the Hurst Rescue Tool.

I have seen them at a school I recently attended, but they never came of the truck in favor of the Hurst. They are the Lukas in Centaur clothing. I could see some Hurst influence on their design. For hi-pressure, I am sure they are a very good tool.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

You mean Hurst is starting to look like Centaur (Lukas). The last I knew, most of the new improved Hurst equipment has come from Lukas technology, ie. telescoping ram, new lighter weight pumps,etc.
    If I'm not mistaken, Hurst is beibg run by the past President of Lukas ( now called centaur).

Forum Member

Default Hurst = Centaur

Hurst and Centaur are both product lines of Hale Products, a unit of Idex Corporation. Centaur was introduced as an alternative to the Hurst line. Centaur uses a mineral oil based fluid (as opposed to synthetic hydraulic fluid) to pressurize the tools, and they work at a higher pressure than Hurst. They are similar tools, w/ different operating specifications, and are made by the same company.

Check it out for yourself at http://www.hurstjaws.com/products/.

Oh, and by the way, Lukas is another unit of Idex Corporation.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Originally posted by rescuemaster
    You mean Hurst is starting to look like Centaur (Lukas). The last I knew, most of the new improved Hurst equipment has come from Lukas technology, ie. telescoping ram, new lighter weight pumps,etc.
    If I'm not mistaken, Hurst is beibg run by the past President of Lukas ( now called centaur).
    Ya know... you got a point there! I did notice that the dust covers seemed to resemble the Hurst design... but then again I always felt Lukas had an excellent design for dirt and dust protection.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Lukas and Centaur are one in the same, just different labeling.
    Its the same tool. Just like the Genesis tool is the Weber tool. Weber makes the parets and genesis assembles the tools here. The only difference between the weber tool and genesis is operating pressure. Weber runs @ 9300 psi, genesis at 10500 psi.

Forum Member

HURST, LUKAS, and Centaur are all made by the same company.

Hence, there are bound to be some similarities between them.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Once again, it is not Lukas and Centaur . They are the same tool.
    There is no difference. Instead of selling the " Lukas " tool in the US, they changed the name to Centaur. This is not a new product designed by Hurst.

Forum Member

Originally posted by rescuemaster
    They are the same tool. There is no difference.
    They can't be the same tool, one says "LUKAS" and the other says "CENTAUR."

Just kidding, you are correct, they are the same tool (w/ some minor changes for the European market).

Stay Safe

Forum Member

We decided to get and new set to replace our old Lukas tools from the 80's still writin in German. Then we found out that they changed to Centaur which is the same just a different name and like someone already stated they are now owned by Hale. Great tool.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Thread Information