Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post St. Petersburg Fla--Child Trapped in Escalator

ST. PETERSBURG TIMES---South Pinellas Section

Girl's hand gets caught in escalator

Kerriana Johnson, 5, was in fair condition Friday afternoon. Her hand was hurt badly.
    By Times staff writer
    © St. Petersburg Times
    published November 30, 2002
    --------------------------------------

ST. PETERSBURG -- A 5-year-old girl suffered a "severely damaged" hand Friday when it got caught in an escalator at Dillard's department store in Tyrone Square Mall.

The girl, Kerriana Johnson, was treated at Bayfront Medical Center's trauma unit.

She was listed in fair condition Friday afternoon and later transferred to All Children's Hospital.

Details of the incident were sketchy. But St. Petersburg police spokesman Rick Stelljes said Kerriana and her mother were on the first floor of the store when the girl went to the down escalator and somehow got her hand caught.

Stelljes said two St. Petersburg police officers stationed at the mall acted quickly to obtain a screwdriver and remove steel panels at the base of the escalator to free the girl's hand.

An off-duty state fire marshal who happened to be at the scene also helped remove the panels, he said.

"Her hand was severly damaged," Stelljes said, but he could not elaborate.

He said police were still "trying to determine what it was that caused this little girl to put her hand down there."

Kerriana's mother was with her daughter at the hospitals and could not be reached for comment.

Dillard's manager Kevin Sleeman refused to comment and asked a reporter to leave the store.

It's not the mall's first escalator incident.

Another 5-year-old girl eventually lost part of her toe after catching it in an escalator at a different store, Burdines, in 1997.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post UPDATE: Child loses fingers

Bradenton.com.. Associated Press

Child who got hand stuck in escalator loses three fingers
    Associated Press

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The 5-year-old girl whose left hand got caught in a department store escalator has lost three fingers, her mother's fiance said.

Kerriana Johnson's shoe somehow became caught in the escalator at Dillard's Department Store in the Tyrone Square Mall on Friday. When the girl reached down to free herself from the mechanism, her hand became entangled, said James Jewell, the fiance of the girl's mother, Lori Medvitz.

"I don't understand how anything could get caught in one of those things," Jewell said.

A state fire marshal and two St. Petersburg police officers helped the child free her hand, by removing a plate in a section where the escalator meets the descending steps, police spokesman Rick Stelljes said.

Officials at All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg would not provide an update on the girl's condition.

A Dillard's spokesman was not available for comment.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information