SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default New York State Reporting Codes

How many of you guys use the NYS Reporting Codes for sign-offs? About 2 years ago we go the new codes which consisted of 17 codes. Recently we just received the new set of codes which has about 175+ codes.

Just wondering what you guys think of these codes and does your department use them.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Are you referring to the switch from NFIRS 4 to NFIRS 5?

IACOJ - Proud member.

We're going to cut over to the new codes 1/1/03. I plan on requiring the most detailed code possible.

We're using firehouse software to track the incidents, and with the older codes, it was harder to truly track what was happening or being done at an incident. ie code 40 - hazardous condition...what was the hazard ??, what did you do to mitigate ?? At least now, someone can enter a code that somewhat narrows it down, instead of a long free-text narrative (which leads to alot of grey areas).

When I compile the run data, I can look at the codes and list out the various activites and types of calls alot easier with these new codes.

Yes, there will be the old die hards that will use the most generic code possible, but with time I'm hoping it will come together.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by TCFire
    Are you referring to the switch from NFIRS 4 to NFIRS 5?
    Wasn't quite sure what you meant, but did a search and found out that, yes that is what I'm referring too. I was under the belief that it was just NY that had it, but apparently it is a national system.

MembersZone Subscriber

We started using the NFIRS 5 exclusively about a year ago. It's definately more comprehensive than the older NYS version. It gives a better view on the statistics.

Last year when we started to use it the state said in the near future they will only be accepting the NFIRS 5 format. I think this time is hear. A couple of weeks ago we recieved the new forms from the state (as said, we already do it via computer).

For those of you that don't already use this newer version, I recomend you going to the USFA website and download the referance guides.

IACOJ - Proud member.

Typical NY state... Over a year ago I was told "In the near future you will need to start using the new NFIRS 5 version" Then suddenly one day what should appear on my door step but a very large box filled with the new forms...no advanced warning, just forms, a coupla guide books and a letter saying "start using these" !!

Just got the approval at last night's business meeting to go ahead an purchase Firehouse Version 5. Looks like the 1st of January is our cut-over.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Thread Information