Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking I've waited long enough...

I wasn't going to be the first, but no one has posted as of yet. If you are from Minnesota, stop in, leave a note; any questions about Minnesota, please ask; been through Minnesota, let us know what you thought and where you were.
    Stay Safe...
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 08-10-2004 at 09:38 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Hi, I just moved here from Kentucky. Was a vol. FF for 5 years in KY, but not with any dept. right now. I really like MN, the weather is GREAT! Going to school in Roseville, but will be moving back to Mankato this summer where my family is at. I plan on applying as a volunteer FF in Mankato and hopefully will be accepted this summer if they're "hiring". Would like to eventually go full-time there.

Rock and Roll SPFD. I should be out that way in the spring/summer of next year. I do think that you promised me a tour (maybe even a ride along, wink wink wink...)

Anyway, I'll be in touch.... and of course, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, let me know
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

I'm an Explorer for Maple Grove(Northwest Suburbs) right now. Just turned 18 in September, but still a senior in High School. I'd like to go full-time someday. Any advice for me-where to go, what training to get, general advice-would be welcome. The fire fighters here help a lot, but any advice would help. Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

mgdrummer,

Hennepin Tech. in Hopkins County has a 2 (and maybe 4?) year degree in Fire Protection. I'd check that out. It would look really nice on your resumť. Also, stay with Maple Grove and get experience.

Yeah, I had heard something about that. I should check into that, thanks man!

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

I'm from Minnesota,

I recently Joined the Fire Department as a Volunteer and will be starting School this Monday. I can't wait to get started.

I'm a Fire Explorere with the city of Cottage Grove. I love what we do but i really don't like that fact of going into to fires I just like playing with the tools and taking patients out of cars with jaws.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a 12 year vet with a small FD just SW of the twin cities. Nice to see a place we can come and chat.

MembersZone Subscriber truckman38's Avatar

Cool

Hi, Roseville FF and DNR FF nice to have a local forum.

Stay safe everybody!!!
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Roseville, I'm going to school here at NWC. I went to FF1 school with one of your explorers last semester out in Hopkins, seems like you guys trained him well!

DNR FF?

stay safe,
    mike
    Last edited by Jedimike007; 01-28-2003 at 08:50 PM.

My cousin works with the DNR but hes not a firefighter
    Carrie Hagen
    CGFD Explorer
    HealthEast Paramedic Explorer
    medicgirl532@yahoo.com
    fireboop3125@firehousemail.com
    carebear3125@hotmail.com

**FireFighting not recommeded for mere mortals **

Bump 'N Grind
    Firefighting
    Get your hose out,
    Put your rubbers on,
    And get 'em real wet!

Firefighters
    The Few...
    The Proud...
    The Insanely Brave...

Hello Fellow MN Hosejockey's.....

Nice to see you all!

Stay Safe
    Last edited by Downtown2991; 02-05-2003 at 06:20 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber truckman38's Avatar

Jedimike007,

I am assumeing you went to school with Alex. He will be a good firefighter.

It is amazing what you can do with explorers- we have a lot of good future firefighters in our post.

stay safe everybody, its slipery out there
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

MembersZone Subscriber Airborne's Avatar

You know ainít life a B****. Just when things are getting on track in my life, Iím handed another obstacle or at least the potential for one.

My full time job, because I'm only a POC FF student right now, is working for the City of Minneapolis as a System Integrator. Well to make a long story short, it appears that I will not be having a job here much longer. No I'm not being fired at least not that I know of, I'm going to either be laid off because of the current ITS out sorceing, or if not that I'm sure I will be laid off because of position cuts due to the loss of LGA funding from the state to the city.

So with that I will have to start a job search. I have a few things on my side 1 when lay off I will have 4 months in what the city calls it's Job bank, so I get paid to try and find another Job in the city. Right now there are 5 jobs in there and the potential for mass layoffs. That means there will be nothing there, but at least I will have 4 months pay before I'm facing UI.

Now with that said, I have already determined that I may have to look for a new carrier field because the computer market is just flooded, and I made the mistake of only going to school 1 year and then going in to the job market. It worked great until now.

So I'm wondering if any of you could clue me into what the average pay is for a full time FF around the metro, and what the Job market looks like.

I have the advantage that I'm already in school, and if things go the way they should I will have FF1 Done mid Apr FF2 Done Mid May,
    Fire Apparatus Operator end of July. Then I should be able to complete the First Responder class after July but there is no fall schedule up yet.

To the explorer that did not care for going in. I am with you. It scares the h*** out of everyone.If you still have problems with it after several training than maybe you can find a way to stay as EMT/ Rescue/Extrication. That is what I prefer but will do the fire fight when needed. I am down in the SE and we take anyone willing to do anything. If you can only do one or two aspects of the job then that is what you will be trained for and be the "go-to" guy. Don't give it up. It sounds like you have the heart for Emergecy Service, just find where to go with it.

MembersZone Subscriber fyrman1977's Avatar

Originally posted by Airborne
    [ So I'm wondering if any of you could clue me into what the average pay is for a full time FF around the metro, and what the Job market looks like.

I have the advantage that I'm already in school, and if things go the way they should I will have FF1 Done mid Apr FF2 Done Mid May,
    Fire Apparatus Operator end of July. Then I should be able to complete the First Responder class after July but there is no fall schedule up yet. [/B]
    Being enrolled in FF1 is no advantage, you can count on anyone applying to full-time depts having FF1, FF2, EMT, and HazMat Tech as a minnimum. Finish the degree and skip first-responder and go for EMT. Really want a job? Get your medic cert. Want a job here in the metro? Good luck. No cities have any money, due to the states lack of funding. The last mpls cadet class at HTC was just laid off, and St. paul is lucky to keep the firefighters they have. It's a BAD deal around here. Richfield was the most recent to test for firefighters, and they probably won't hire anyone. When they do hire(which most likely will be more than a year) typical starting wages are in the 30-45 thousand range, depending on where you go. Don't mean to be a downer, thats just how it seems now. On a positive note, out of state looks more promising. Try wisconsin or Iowa

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hey Airborne

Have you got started at Brooklyn Park? How are things going?

Forum Member

Hey everybody! I live in Eveleth and just got hired for the fire dept. in June. I will be taking FF1 training this fall through the Mesabi Community College. I hope to meet some of you up here in Sept. for the state fire school that is held here every year.

Tidbit of information concerning St Paul- notices have been sent to those on the 17c (Journeyman/Journeyperson Firefighter) list. As of now, it looks certain that St Paul is going to hire 1 more round of this list.
    An enterance exam open to all those that meet the minimum requirements is on the budget for 2005. Last exam was in Aug. 1999 and to be eligable for hire, you had to be either a Minnesota or National Registry EMT/EMT-P. I would suspect that this will still be the case in '05.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information