Gasoline Sends Fire Out Of Control
Published: Dec 2, 2002

TAMPA - Donovan Nelson tried using paper to kindle a fire in his fireplace Friday night. When that didn't work, he poured a small amount of gasoline and ignited a blaze that severely damaged his family's home.
No one was injured in the 8:16 p.m. fire at 2208 E. Bougainvillea Ave. Tampa fire officials contained the fire within 30 minutes, and investigators have determined it was accidental.

According to Tampa Fire Rescue officials, Nelson, 39, was at home alone when he tried to ignite a fire log in his fireplace. Upon pouring gasoline onto the log, the container's spout caught fire. Nelson held onto the container as he fled his house, splashing burning fuel throughout the home. He dropped the container in the kitchen and escaped with only singed hair, Capt. Bill Wade said.

As of Sunday, no damage estimate was available. The home was heavily damaged from smoke and fire.

Nelson, his wife and three children are being assisted by the American Red Cross in finding temporary housing.